Two sets of Christmas lights into one 5amp plug (Ed.)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two sets of fairy lights, both with normal 3 pin plugs with 3 amp fuses.

I have a 5amp lighting circuit.

I want to swap the plugs on the fairy lights to the 5amp round pin plugs so they are linked to my light switch. Can I wire both sets into the same plug or is this dangerous?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The existing "plugs" may be power supply modules containing an electronic converter changing 230 V mains to a much lower voltage to suit the lights d

but he said they are normal plugs with fuses.
the 5a round pin plug you want to use wont have a fuse but if it is fed from the lighting cct with a 6a breaker then yes thats fine.
you could also make up a small extension lead with a 5a plug and a two way socket.

Sponsored Links
If 230 volt your should only put two items into one plug when the plug is designed for multi items, you can get 13 amp plugs which can take 4 flexes.

However if done carefully so cables are clamped, if is unlikely to be a problem.

Personally I use Google Nest mini's and a 3 outlet smart scoket, and if named on Google home app as lights, I can simply say hey Google turn on living room lights, and they all turn on, main light, uplighter, 4 cabinet light and Christmas lantern. More important is the off command when leaving room. I can also ask for one lamp.

So much easier today than years ago turning everything on/off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back