Outdoor lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there

I'm after some advice please. I'm a pretty competent DIYer....

We've currently got two outside circuits which are each connected to a 5amp fused switch, and the connected to a socket each with 5amp fuses. The lights are 500/300w floodlights.

I'm ripping them out and want to replace this with two circuits:

1. 3 lanterns with energy saving bulbs (20w) each and LED decking lights (back garden lighting)
2. 2 lanterns on a wired PIR sensor. Again 20w each.

My plan is to use one of the cables from the plug on a 3 or 5amp fuse to a indoor junction box where it splits in two. These will then go to a double switch, then go outside to the lights on the circuits I've described above. I plan to plug this into a RCD attaché socket.

I've got a few questions if that's ok?

1. Can I safely run all this stuff off a single socket? If so what fuse rating do I need?
2. I've assumed the fused switch isn't needed as it's fused at the socket. Am I right in thinking this?
3. I don't think I'm changing the outside circuit by doing this..... so don't need to inform the local council?

Thanks in advance for your help

Michael

Sponsored Links
I think one of the reasons no one has replied yet is that your current set up and your proposed set up are difficult to comprehend.

It sounds as if you are saying that currently you have two switched FCU's (5A) that each go to a 5A socket and then via a plug to the outside lights. do you mean this type of socket?
http://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-5a-1-gang-round-pin-unswitched-plug-socket-white/11412

Then you propose to fit a junction box indoors and run the cable from it into this 5A socket via a plug. Then you intend to feed this cable into a 2 gang switch and onto the two circuits.

To be honest your current set up and your proposal sounds a bit of a dogs dinner.
If you currently have 2 (5A) SFCU's - wouldn't it be easier just to run a suitably rated cable from the SFCU to each of the lights you want to set up. For New circuit 1 this may involve looping in and out of the lanterns to the led decking lights or if there is not enough space going from the SFCU to a weatherproof junction box and then split to the lanterns and the led decking lights.

Ah sorry I've not explained correctly.

Both of these circuits are just plugged into a normal wall socket. They both have 5amp fuses.

The cables then run internally up to a switch. These are fused switched again at 5amps. The cables then run outside to the lights.

My question is can I merge the two circuits to one 5amp plug and keep this plugged I to a socket and swap the fused switches for a normal one?

If your prepared to a little chasing in to walls, it could be possible to hard wire and do without the plug in set up altogether.

If you still wanted to plug in, you could remove one set of cables going from 5A spur to lights, and connect this to the load side of the other fused spur, this would then make this connection so it is operating both light and the other fused connection then redundant.
If you did bury cables within wall, then it's highly likely that these cables would require either mechanical protection or RCD protection

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your help... I'm gonna stick with the single plug onto a two-way switch then outside. I'll pop the plug into an RCD adapter/plug I've got.

1. Can I safely run all this stuff off a single socket? If so what fuse rating do I need?
You can, there would be less than 1A on full demand
2. I've assumed the fused switch isn't needed as it's fused at the socket. Am I right in thinking this?
Yes
3. I don't think I'm changing the outside circuit by doing this..... so don't need to inform the local council?
As you are not installing a new circuit, it would be deemed not notifiable.

You can add fused or unfused spurs, accessories etc to an existing circuit without requiring Building Regulations approval - that's only needed for consumer units, new circuits and work in bathrooms.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back