Spurs

Many thanks for all advice.
I have fitted a double socket as an extension to the ring and another double as a single spur from it. Even a note on CU of mixed colour cabling.
As BAS said "FFS do it properly." It was more satisfying !
....and the floor boards and carpets don't look too bad.

Sponsored Links
And the required RCD protection I hope!
Indeed, if it were necessary to add it - I don't think the OP has ever said anything which indicates that the circuit did not already have RCD protection, so it's possible that it was already there.
Call me cynical, but I often find that when they have ignored the advice, they have ignored for a reason.
As I had previously pointed out it's requirement in an earlier post, the existence of the device has neither been denied or confirmed since. I assume the opposite to you! or the OP does not know what one is?

Sponsored Links
Existing RCD covers 2 rings, so protection is in place.
Thanks again......even to cynics.....it was a straight enquiry

Call me cynical, but I often find that when they have ignored the advice, they have ignored for a reason.
I don't think we have any evidence that your advice has been 'ignored' it has merely not been commented upon. Edit: I see that it has now :)
As I had previously pointed out it's requirement in an earlier post, the existence of the device has neither been denied or confirmed since. I assume the opposite to you! or the OP does not know what one is?
I assumed nothing - merely pointed out the possibility that the circuit was already RCD-protected. It's very reasonable that you have reminded the OP about the RCD issue, but I personally would have been more explicit ("If the circuit does not already have RCD protection...."). One never knows for sure the level of understanding of posters, so it's possible thatthe OP may have interpreted you as saying that he had to install an RCD specifically for this circuit even if it already enjoyed RCD protection.

Kind Regards, John

I don't know why your brother Tony couldn't have just asked you personally - do you not get on?

Existing RCD covers 2 rings, so protection is in place.
Thanks again......even to cynics.....it was a straight enquiry
Being cynical again, is the part that you extend, part of one of those two rings and have you tested the trip times to the rated protection value?

:) Yes and Of course not, ...my DIY skills and equipment don't rise to that.I will have to take that risk, but I did check all of my connections carefully.

Why would the extension to the ring have any effect on the RCD protection, if all connections are OK?
Surely it cannot be intended that DIY is not considered a suitable means of adding an extra socket?

So are you happy to "assume!" that because you think "without proving"
that all the terminations are correct, that this also means the RCD is functioning as it should?

I am not saying don't "Do It Yourself!", what I am saying is "Do It Right!"

Given that the circuit had not been touched since installation in new build, and given that there was no means by which a neutral to earth fault was introduced during my work, then why should the RCD protection have been likely to have changed?
I agree that in an ideal world every DIY er would have full test equipment and also that RCD protection would be regularly checked by induced current introduction on a regular basis,.
As a matter of interest, how easy is it to hire and learn how to use the professional test gear?

To hire is as easy as hiring most tools.
To use and understand and comprehend the results, depends on the ability of the individual.
I don't particularly care about the age of the installation, what I am saying is that there is no evidence to say that the installation is safe for continued use, there has been no tests performed by you or others and you have not got any previous test history of the installation, the question I am asking is not only "is it safe now?" "was it ever proved to be safe in the first place?"

Why would the extension to the ring have any effect on the RCD protection, if all connections are OK?
I don't think anyone is really suggesting that it necessarily would - the main point is that your RCD may have not been functioning satisfactorily before you added the extension. Since current regulations require that new socket(s) you add should have effective RCD protection, 'doing it properly' requires that one checks that the RCD protection at the new socket(s) is, indeed, 'effective'.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back