Power to new bedroom units with fitted downlighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The people fitting new bedroom units in 2 weeks have told me to arrange a power cable to the top of the wall to use as power for the bedroom units lighting. I cannot come from the loft as it is floor boarded.

Advised it was an easy job - open up a socket, add a fused switch spur with a 5amp fuse, and then chase a cable from the spur to the ceiling.

On further checking, it did not seem a problem as long as the socket was in a ring main and not already a spur from a ring main. I was advised to check each socket I want to use to ensure there was cable in and out.

However I have checked ALL the upstairs sockets and each only has cable in, I assume from this they are not in a ring.

Can I still add a fused spur to a socket or do I need to call in an electrician for further checks?

Sponsored Links
Hi - sounds strange set up, but if not on a ring main then could be either a) all radials coming from fuse box (unlikely if all in same room), or b) each one is a spur from somewhere else (again, doesn't sound likely).

If they turn out to be radials from the main fuse box, then I believe you could safely run a fused spur from one as a radial can have more than one socket running on its length, rather like lighting.

I am not a qualified lecy so best to check this advice with someone qualified, but hope it helps.

Thanks for that. Yep, I agree it is a strange one. I can't figure out why all upstairs sockets are one cable fittings. I lifted a loose floorboard on a socket I want to add a spur to. Underneath it was just a supply cable into a junction box, then to the socket.

I'm tempted to treat as a radial and add the fused spur anyway - but is this to risky? The reason I'm tempted is because all the house was rewired about 8 years back and I'm assuming it will be safe to add the spur.

Any pro thoughts before I go ahead please.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back