Adding fused switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a double socket on a ring that already has a double socket spurred off it in my garage (to the left of ring). All cables surface mounted on to the block wall.

I would like to add a fused switched spur (to the right) that feeds another socket for some plug in low wattage lighting LEDs.

1. Is this allowed as i would be fusing down to 5a? ie two spurs from same socket, new one fused?

2. If not, can i just add another double socket directly above the original ring socket and thus extend the ring slightly, then spur from that?. Then each double socket on the ring could have one spur each?

Sponsored Links
Only if you integrate the new socket into the ring and not add it as a spur.

Thats what i mean in point 2..... add a new socket slightly further up the wall using ring cables and then extend ring to lower original socket. Then each of these would have one spur each.

Is option 1 a no go then? Literally for 30w of LEDs only.

There is no rule saying you can't have two spurs from the same point. But you may have a problem getting four cables into one socket.

Sponsored Links
Wouldn't it be better to take a single spur from the socket on the ring to an accessible junction box. From that junction you would have a feed to the existing socket and a new feed to the fused connection.

It means having an extra item on the wall but would make dealing with all the cables much easier and save the awful practice of an overcrowded back box.

Wouldn't it be better to take a single spur from the socket on the ring to an accessible junction box. From that junction you would have a feed to the existing socket and a new feed to the fused connection.

No, that's still two things coming from the spur.

OP,
The socket that is in the garage already, run another 2.5mm² cable from there to the socket which already feeds it in the house. This should be easy, seeing as it's clipped to the block. Connect inside the house socket so that the ring is maintained, Wago 221 are very good for this. Then you can do as you wish and fit an FCU as a spur from the garage socket, or even put the FCU on the ring also(better/easier as you'll only have two wires per terminal, not three anywhere).

I'm guessing these LED lights come with a power brick(wall wart), hence your want for a socket(s) for them?

No, that's still two things coming from the spur.

I read the OP's post as wanting two spurs from the ring socket? Hence my point about it being physically more practical to go to a junction box first and then to the two spurs (old and new).

physically more practical to go to a junction box first and then to the two spurs (old and new).

For that to comply, the junction box would now need to be on the ring, and not...

single spur ... to an accessible junction box
(plus, it will still be 4 wires in each terminal)

That requires a second cable from the house socket into the garage, so it might as well just be ran a bit further to the existing garage socket and not have a junction box at all.

A picture speaks a thousand words. What i currently have is in black, what im now thinking the best way to do this is in green (the circle would be a 30a junction box).

Thoughts?

What i was originally going to do is take the green from the ring socket to a fused switch then the new socket, but the junction box seems better?

Attachments

• 20190425_100030.jpg
    20190425_100030.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 252
Last edited:
What i currently have is in black
Aaaaahhhhh, I see. I didn't think the ring was already in the garage, just a single cable from the house. Anyway...

You can do that, yes. That joint must remain accessible, i.e. you can't go plasterboarding the garage in future and the joint gets covered.

I thought you wanted an FCU to act as a switch for the LED lights? If so, it's better to re-route one leg of the ring, as far as it will reach...
(new cables in green)
Untitled.jpg

...and keep it on the ring also. Depends where you want the switch really. Avoiding unnecessary joints should be a priority IMHO. Or just put the FCU where you were going to have the 30A junction box.

Don't see why an FCU is wanted. The new socket has a switch, whatever is plugged in to it is fused or otherwise protected if a wall wart. So FCU is redundant.

Don't see why an FCU is wanted.

To switch two wall warts at the same time maybe? The new double socket could go up high close to the ceiling now(for ease of running the LED cables) and have the FCU at normal light switch height. Wall warts can block easy access to the switches unless they are outboard rockers. And so on...
Many possible reasons.

Just another negative unhelpful post. :rolleyes:

Just another negative unhelpful post. :rolleyes:

No it was not. You may have a constructive answer but there is NO NEED to be rude.

A double pole switch will do what you suggest. No need for a FCU.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back