Twin socket and lighting from spur?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

In my loft space someone has previously run a 5 amp fused spur from a double socket for a light. I need a twin socket in there as well. Am I right in thinking I swap the 5amp fuse for 13a, swap the cable for something suitable for 13amp then run a socket and another 5amp fused spur for the light?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
This is what's currently there. Fused spur at the bottom coming from a double socket, up to a distribibution box that goes off to the switch and the light.

Attachments

• IMG_3477.JPG
    IMG_3477.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 259
first things first How is this double socket supplied? I'E. is it on a ring, a radial or spur ?

Sponsored Links
What's the socket for? If it's just TV amplifier and similar you could leave the fusing as 5 amp. Label the socket as 5 amp load max.

To be honest I can just live with the double socket (the light socket has always been broken). In which case I'll just swap the fused box for a double socket and remove the lighting element. But if it's safe and easy enough I wouldn't mind the lighting.

What's the socket for? If it's just TV amplifier and similar you could leave the fusing as 5 amp. Label the socket as 5 amp load max.

For a powerline and a wifi hotspot. So not drawing much at all. 5a would be plenty, even for both sockets. But if I'm going to do it I'd rather just get it right (and legal).

If you are taking an unfused spur direct from the ring, your are only really allowed one outlet to be connected.
So ideally you would need a fused connection unit (FCU) downstream of the ring final socket being used for the feed. Then you can have as much as you want afterwards but will be restricted to a max 13A load.
Obviously cable ratings will need to be factored into this, a minimum of 1.5mm T&E is required for a socket outlet downstream of a FCU.

Plus if you are adding socket outlets, BS7671 will require the provisions of RCD protection to be considered/assessed.

Although the existing load/demand would not really be an issue regarding safety.

If you are taking an unfused spur direct from the ring, your are only really allowed one outlet to be connected.
So ideally you would need a fused connection unit (FCU) downstream of the ring final socket being used for the feed. Then you can have as much as you want afterwards but will be restricted to a max 13A load.

Ok. This is what I believed so...

Double socket --> 13a FCU --> Junction box --> double socket
--> 3a FCU --> switch --> lighting socket

The 3a fcu is coming from the junction box there, not another spur from the second double socket!

??

Last edited:
Ended up doing it with a junction box after the 13a fcu. One to the socket, one to a 3a fcu for the light. Is that not correct?

Either way, your idea in your first post was correct.

Socket downstairs on ring > 2.5 mm2 t+e cable > 13 amp fused spur switched or unswitched > 2.5 t+e > socket > 2.5 t+e > 3 or 5 amp fused spur > 1.0 t+e > lighting

The junction box after the 13 amp fused spur is acceptable too.

EDIT, think I have echoed PBoD.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back