New Wall Lights to Socket

19 Feb 2011
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I'm about to install new Wall Lights.
I cant get the electricity from the ceiling light so planed to take it from a dual socket below where the wall lights are being installed.

Before starting had a quick search and on the homebase webpage it states I should use a 5amp Fused Socket inbetween the switch and wall light.
Cant get a 5amp one so got a 13amp and will swap the fuse.

My question is. Do I really need a Fused Socket or would I be ok without it.
Sponsored Links
Ideally you should feed the lights from the lighting circuit. If using the power circuit then you must use a FCU then a switch or just use a switched FCU to control the light(s)
Sponsored Links
Thanks for that. It's a 13amp FCU I have. So will swap the fuse for a 5amp.


Add up the value of the lights wattage, that becomes the load for the fuse spur.

Anything under 690 watts (your's will be in the range 10w-100w depending on if es bulbs or more generic) tends to be a 3 amp. Red colour and very easy to find anywhere, a 5 amp is available but is rarer in newsgaents, and supermarkets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local