undercupboard lighting - fused connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I want to add 2 undercupboard striplights in my kitchen, the ones that plug into the ring main. We don't have many sockets spare though.

There is a fused connection unit already in there, but it isn't used (i think it was for the old security light outside the window)It is already wired in but with no fuse in it
The fuse slot says use a 13amp

My question is, can I wire these lights directly into the ring main via this fused unit, if so what fuse should I use (presumably whatever fuse was in the plug attached to the lights when I bought it) and if it takes a lesser fuse than 13amp, is it ok to put say, a 5amp fuse in the fused socket marked 13amp?

Hope that makes sense

Sponsored Links
Yes, you can use this unit. Prise the fuse holder out (or unscrew it if it has a screw), you may find a 3Amp fuse there if it has been used for a light before - this will be fine. If its a 13A fuse, get a 3A one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back