Wiring LED Strip Driver into 5amp Lighting Circuit

as lighting circuits are already fused at 6 amps. All you need is a switch and flex outlet or else a 2 amp plug and socket.
While a 2 amp socket will carry 12 amps the design of a 2 amp fixture on a circuit fused at 6 amps is not a good design

12 amps is the current that can flow through a 6 amp MCB for quite a long time before the MCB's thermal trip will operate

Maybe so, but 2 amp sockets were always wired on to lighting circuits. They were deemed to require half an amp. There were never any 2 amp circuits, though I am aware that 2A MCBs are available.

If the OP is worried he could use a 5 amp socket, but in theory as 5amp sockets are deemed to require full load he could not put it on an existing lighting circuit with other lights.

Sponsored Links
What????? You can't put a 5A socket on a lighting circuit? What on earth are you talking about?

What????? You can't put a 5A socket on a lighting circuit? What on earth are you talking about?

You can, but as a 5 amp socket is deemed to require full load there is only 1 amp left for lights (assuming a 6amp circuit ) so rather limiting.

Sponsored Links
More rubbish from the resident bulls hitter :LOL:

Why do you have to be so rude and insulting? I suggest you do some research into BS546. The IEE regs 10th edition will be a good place to start.
From Wikipedia:

The 15 ampere(A) sockets were generally given a dedicated 15 A circuit. Multiple 5 A sockets might be on a 15 A circuit, or on a dedicated 5 A circuit. Lighting circuits fused at 5 A were generally used to feed the 2 A sockets.

More rubbish from the resident bulls hitter :LOL:

Why do you have to be so rude and insulting? I suggest you do some research into BS546. The IEE regs 10th edition will be a good place to start.
From Wikipedia:

The 15 ampere(A) sockets were generally given a dedicated 15 A circuit. Multiple 5 A sockets might be on a 15 A circuit, or on a dedicated 5 A circuit. Lighting circuits fused at 5 A were generally used to feed the 2 A sockets.

Why would I want to read the 10th edition? We use the 17th edition these days. Are you still installing fused neutrals too?

From Wikipedia:

Multiple 5 A sockets might be on ... a dedicated 5 A circuit.
But you said, and then later tried to use some old edition of the Wiring Regulations and a Wikipedia article to prove, that a 5A socket has an assumed draw of 5A.

So how could you have multiple ones on a 5A circuit - surely you could only have 1?

I'm confused - please clarify.

[quote="ban-all-sheds"

So how could you have multiple ones on a 5A circuit - surely you could only have 1?

I'm confused - please clarify.[/quote]

That article was badly written. Multiple on a 15A circuit. One on a 5A circuit.

Does everyone reading the above fascinating material realise that the 10th edition of the Wiring Regs was published in 1934?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back