Running two appliances from one plug

Indeed - as I said, the one 'upside' is that of aesthetics (if one can't easily hide a 4-way extension) - and that's the reason I have some in service. Did you manage to find an ongoing source of them, or aree your (like mine) 'old stock'?

I found some at a car boot NOS (ex RS as well)

Sponsored Links
Yep, I also have at least a couple of (ancient) ones of those in service. I seem to recall that they were called 'hi-fi power adapters", or something like that, since their main use was in relation to multi-box 'hi-fi' setups!

Kind Regards, John

I think I still have some plugs for them but not the socket bit

I'm still a bit confused. I presume that your reference to "removable" and "fixed" mains leads relates to what goes on at the equipment end of the lead, so I don't really understand how that, per se, affects how easy it is to connect the other end of the cable to a 'multi-plug'. What am I missing?
OK, so you have a bunch of equipment.
If it all has removable power leads, you can wire up the multi-plug without having to have all the equipment in one place. If you need to move/replace/whatever a piece of equipment then you can just unplug it (and if a replacement has the same plug, no rewiring needed).
If it's all got hard-wired leads, then it's a bit different. You've got to get everything to the one place - some of it possibly inside a cabinet. Then you have to wire the leads into the plug - while the TV is in the way, and you possibly have "a bit less" length of lead to play with.
With the "13A plug to tiny sockets" adapter, then it's moot as you can fit the plugs and then put the equipment into position.

Also, in our house we seem to periodically change things around. It's fairly settled at the moment, but we've been slowly getting this house into shape entertainment wise. So for example, we bought a new TV for the bedroom with built in DVD since there wasn't anywhere practical to put a separate DVD player. The previous TV went downstairs to the dining room as an upgrade - and then I had a bit of a shuffle with things like DVD player. Old TV in dining room didn't have HDMI, replacement did, so swapped out the DVD player. There have been a number of such "equipment musical chairs" events as we;ve got things into order in this house. Had we had stuff hard wired into multi-cable plugs then it would have been "someone inconvenient" having to unwire stuff each time.

OK, so you have a bunch of equipment. ... If it all has removable power leads, you can wire up the multi-plug without having to have all the equipment in one place. If you need to move/replace/whatever a piece of equipment then you can just unplug it (and if a replacement has the same plug, no rewiring needed). .... If it's all got hard-wired leads, then it's a bit different. ... Also, in our house we seem to periodically change things around.
Fair enough. I would think it goes without saying that the multi-plug approach method is only really appropriate/sensible in relation to items that are going to stay in the same place (and hopefully not need repairing/replacing) for a 'long time'. If one is not very confident that such is likely to be the case, then it would not seem like a very appropriate approach.

The multiplug approach is probably rarely likely to be needed, even if one could find any. In a good few places in my house, there are veritable rats' nests of extension leads etc. - but none are visible, so that's not a problem, and it offers the ultimate in long-term flexibility.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I think I still have some plugs for them but not the socket bit

found 7 of the one on the right,free to anyone who wants them! and i found 1 of the ones on the left, Bulgin I think
20190416_205250[1].jpgt.jpg

mind you I also have the HiFi connected via these
20190416_205255[1].jpgt.jpg

(mind you my one also has mains xlr connectors fitted as well!!!)dont tell BAS
You're only saying that as you know I'll curse you for being able to find mains-rated XLR plugs and sockets when I couldn't.... :mad:

Bur Powercon are an acceptable alternative.

I would think it goes without saying that the multi-plug approach method is only really appropriate/sensible in relation to items that are going to stay in the same place (and hopefully not need repairing/replacing) for a 'long time'.
Items like that could be hard-wired - think of all the veil of transparency noise floor yadda yaddas that come with removing plug/socket contacts in the electrical supply path...

R480305-01.jpg

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Must admit I've not looked for ages - some years ago I toyed with the idea of making a high-density outlet plate using those, and I bought a load of plugs on eBay, expecting to find sockets available.

If I can still find the plugs I might see if those sockets will do, but I note they say "inlet".

Or if I do ever bother, forget XLR and go with Neutrik's more modern alternative...

https://www.neutrik.com/en/products/power/powercon-20-a

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Not no more
Must admit I missed that - but then I wasn't really looking further than "oh look, there they are" :whistle:
Must admit I've not looked for ages - some years ago I toyed with the idea of making a high-density outlet plate using those, and I bought a load of plugs on eBay, expecting to find sockets available.
I've had similar problems in the past. At one time, there was a two pin Bulgin connector that was widely used as a battery connector in caravans - built in to some self contained battery box and charger units. Of course, last time I did any caravan wiring*, I had no matching connectors left in the box and they were long since discontinued :mad:
* When my mate was still rallying, we'd use an old caravan as a mobile base - cheaper than B&B, more convenient being camped on the event base. Usually the ones we got (very cheap or free) were lacking in basic amenities like electric lights ...
Or if I do ever bother, forget XLR and go with Neutrik's more modern alternative...
https://www.neutrik.com/en/products/power/powercon-20-a
I wonder how many people heed the warning notice : "Attention: The powerCON is a connector without breaking capacity, i.e. the powerCON should not be connected or disconnected under load or live!"

Note that the true1 panel outlet connector is substantially larger than an XLR (the inlet IIRC is at least roughly XLR sized).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back