Two appliances in one plug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an external double socket - in a sealed box - to run a filter and a water pump for the fountain for my pond. Each is wired to a separate plug. I've just been told I need to add an air stone, but now don't have enough plugs and there's no room in the external box for a multi plug. Can I just wire both the air stone cable and the filter cable into one plug - they would both be on at the same time anyway - I'm sure I've seen this in the past for lamps, but guess it's not best practice. Otherwise, does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

Sponsored Links
OK, thanks - assume then I just need to split it in an external junction box?

Sponsored Links
Been doing some more checking for what I need - would I be OK to use an IP66 enclosure and put both appliance flexes into a terminal block with a further flex connected to the plug?

Isn't the whole thing called a plugsocket then :confused:
No, No .... you obvioulsy don't understand this at all :)

A plugsocket has holes to insert things into. The whole thing we're talking about here (plugtop + plugbuttom) is surely a socketplug? I would have thought that a clever chap like you would have known that :)

Kind Regards, John

There is nothing wrong with putting more than one appliance into one plug as long as
1) The plug is designed to take multi-cables
R325596-91.jpg
and
2) The total load will not be over 13A.
See Here

As to references to plug tops or plug sockets one has to be rather pedantic to pick up on something like this. Same as with Lamp and Bulb. Guy has asked simple question what's wrong with simple answer.

As to references to plug tops or plug sockets one has to be rather pedantic to pick up on something like this. Same as with Lamp and Bulb.
With respect, I think there's a big difference. 'Light bulb' was the standard term in use for decades. Like you, I'm of an age such that those words come off my lips and typing fingers very easily - but I have to be very careful to trye to stop myself doing it, because of the ridicule it's likley bto attract around here - that I call very pedantic. As I've said before, the irony is that we've gone full circle - my grandparents used the word 'lamp', I suspect as a left-over from the days of gas and oil lamps.

'Plugtop' is, IMO, very different. It's a nonsensical word which never came into much use with the general public, many of whom probably haven't got a clue what it means. Hence, when you write:
Guy has asked simple question what's wrong with simple answer.
.. I totally agree, but would suggest that slipping the word 'plugtop' into the answer detracts from the simplicity of the answer, not the least because the OP may not have a clue what it means (and certainly couldn't work it out, since it defies logic) :)

Off my sopabox, now :)

Kind Regards, John.

As to references to plug tops or plug sockets one has to be rather pedantic to pick up on something like this. Same as with Lamp and Bulb.
Hate them pedantic firked up a holes, who have nothing better to do, than get off on trivial references, anyone with an oversized grey cell would understand what is meant be it ;)

Guy has asked simple question what's wrong with simple answer.
Fair paly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back