Two appliances in one plug

Hate them pedantic firked up a holes, who have nothing better to do, than get off on trivial references, anyone with an oversized grey cell would understand what is meant be it ;)
Well,I've just asked two members of my household and two neighbours who happened to be visiting. Without any contextual prompting, not one of them had a clue what 'plugtop' meant. When I told them that it was related to electrical things, two of them suggested that it may mean the top of a plug. Between them, they have at least 8 degrees - although I don't pretend that necessarily means all that much in terms of oversized grey cells :)

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
Plugtop.

1) Wrong.

2) Unofficial.

3) 100% more syllables and 75% more letters for no extra meaning or clarity whatsoever.

4) Pointless.

Hate them pedantic firked up a holes, who have nothing better to do, than get off on trivial references, anyone with an oversized grey cell would understand what is meant be it ;)
You're wrong (my, what a surprise).

It's the people who insist on using that incorrect, inefficient and pointless bastardisation of a word who are the firked up a holes.

two of them suggested that it may mean the top of a plug

And that's exactly what I thought it meant the first time I heard it too. Where did this "plugtop" nonsense meaning the whole plug come from?

Might as well start calling a socket-outlet a "socketbottom."

two of them suggested that it may mean the top of a plug
And that's exactly what I thought it meant the first time I heard it too.
Same here
Where did this "plugtop" nonsense meaning the whole plug come from?
Goodness only knows - it's totally bizarre. It certainly seems to have originated with 'the trade' since I have very very rarely heard members of the public using the word.

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
Try Googling "plugtop" or even "plug top"gets some interesting results!

"Plugsocket" is equally interesting

:p

There is nothing wrong with putting more than one appliance into one plug as long as
1) The plug is designed to take multi-cables
R325596-91.jpg
and
2) The total load will not be over 13A.
See Here

As to references to plug tops or plug sockets one has to be rather pedantic to pick up on something like this. Same as with Lamp and Bulb. Guy has asked simple question what's wrong with simple answer.

Personally I would add
1) The plug is designed to take multi-cables
2) The total load will not be over 13A.
3) The fuse selection is appropriate to protect each individual cable and appliance.

I do like that plug!

The term plug top, quite often turns up on this forum. If posties requiring help refer to a plug as a plug top. I would say I would be quite sure as to what they were talking about and help them accordingly. I may even use the term plug top myself as we have that common understanding. I may suggest to them to never use that term again as it is frowned upon by members of this forum and no one will reply to their pleas for help and they will be sent to their maker, if it were to utter the term again.:evil:

It may baffle some of you, but if you are struggling with that reference of plug top, leave it to those that understand these terms, even if not correct by definitions.
Bug-ger me if someone dare use the term earth if they are referring to CPC.
It's a DIY forum and some people don't use or know or understand some of the terms used in the great world of electrics and some want to pour ridicule upon that!
Shame on you! :evil:

The term plug top, quite often turns up on this forum. If posties requiring help refer to a plug as a plug top. I would say I would be quite sure as to what they were talking about and help them accordingly. .... Bug-ger me if someone dare use the term earth if they are referring to CPC. It's a DIY forum and some people don't use or know or understand some of the terms used in the great world of electrics and some want to pour ridicule upon that!
I totally agree. You are preaching to the (vociferous) converted - so maybe you haven't looked at the start of this thread.

As you have probably seen, I have often criticised the way in which ('DIYer') posters here are often taken to task, or even ridiculed, by people'in the know' because they have not used the correct technical terms, despite the fact that it is quite obvious what they meant. Those in trades or professions (inevitably with their own technical language and jargon) cannot expect the man in the street to 'speak their language', so they should 'make allowances', not criticise, and respond in language appropriate to the person they are speaking to.

What happened in this thread was the opposite of that. The OP's initial post spoke only of 'plug' - which is standard everyday English which everyone understands. It was one of the first responses, from an electrician, which introduced the word 'plugtop', which may well have confused the OP - and isn't even a sensible part of "electricians' language".

Kind Regards, John.

Hello John, don't think for one moment I am criticising or calling judgement on you.
Because I am not, I concur to your above post.
I agree that often terms are used, though not technically correct by definition to particular items.
But generally most people would understand what the term was being used for, even if they don't really agree with the use of that term, to describe a particular item.
There are a few terms or names given, not only in the electrical world that occur. But we understand when some says hoover or bubble wrap, even if God forbid the term ring main is used in the wrong context.
I have nothing against the informed politely pointing out these errors, in an except-able manor, that does not deter from the value of the post or hinder the outcome of the OP.
I know often threads get side tracked and issues get brought up during them that are often irrelevant to what the original question was about, this is going to happen, like it or not.

What I don't understand is where certain members take it upon themselves to make an issue over often trivial points, in a manor that I can only describe as negative, non constructive and some times damn right rude.
It's a shame they seem to think this is except-able behaviour, were as calling a plug a plugtop is not.

It's the people who insist on using that incorrect, inefficient and pointless bastardisation of a word who are the firked up a holes.

Perhaps, before you shout your mouth off, you might consider that plugtop might be a recognised term in certain areas. In the 23 years I have been in the trade all the electricians I have ever known and all the wholesalers I have frequented have refered to them as plugtops.

.... God forbid the term ring main is used in the wrong context. I have nothing against the informed politely pointing out these errors, in an except-able manor, that does not deter from the value of the post or hinder the outcome of the OP.
What I don't understand is where certain members take it upon themselves to make an issue over often trivial points, in a manor that I can only describe as negative, non constructive and some times damn right rude. It's a shame they seem to think this is except-able behaviour, were as calling a plug a plugtop is not.
I agree totally. The behaviour you describe is never justified. Given the nature of this forum ('DIY') I don't think we should ever criticise an OP for not usuing technically correct terminology, and you would never see me doing that. It may sometimes be appropriate to 'point out' the correct terminology to an OP (e.g. so that they would know what components to buy), but that should be done politely and informatively. It's equally important that the electricians etc. respond to OPs using language which the general public are definitely going to understand - and I think it is particularly inappropriate to deliberately 'blind OPs with jargon', rather than tell them that one feels that a task is probably beyond their knowledge or capabilities (e.g. responding to "I'm thinking of running a supply to my garden shed" with "What is the Zs?"). Nor do I think that it is appropriate to make a fuss about typos and grammatical errors (of which there are a few in your quoted words above!).

In general, you will not find me playing these games, and never with OPs. The worst you'll see is, as in this thread, fairly light-heated 'teasing' of electricians. 'Plugtop' (when it comes from an electrician etc.) is probably the one exception for me. It seems like such a ridiculous and illogical word that I find it hard to see it without reacting (although, as above, I would resist the temptation if it came from the OP).

Kind Regards, John.

In the 23 years I have been in the trade all the electricians I have ever known and all the wholesalers I have frequented have refered to them as plugtops.
That doesn't surprise me. As I've said, it's been very much an 'in-term' in the trade, but very rarely used or understood by the general public.

I'm still waiting, after having asked many times, for someone to tell me how such an illogical and bizarre word ever came into being, and what was the motivation.

Kind Regards, John.

The dubious description "plugtop" has been widely promoted by retailers and even equipment designers.

One example:
http://www.rapidonline.com/Electric...w/85-2928?source=googleps&utm_source=googleps

I have even see the term used to describe the socket recepticle on PAT testers. I have a Seaward brochure in front of me that uses the term "plug top"

Its not right but it is understood. I take the point that in this thread the OP used the correct term and the the incorrect term was "injected" by a professional but in the whole scheme of things I think we should be chasing down the drug dealers instead ;)

The dubious description "plugtop" has been widely promoted by retailers and even equipment designers. Its not right but it is understood. I take the point that in this thread the OP used the correct term and the the incorrect term was "injected" by a professional but in the whole scheme of things I think we should be chasing down the drug dealers instead ;)
I basically agree, and would personally not get involved in any of these semantic discussions (other than to criticise the criticising that others do, partoicularly if the victim is an OP!) in relation to any word other than 'plugtop' (when used by professionals). Perhaps I'm allowed just one 'soapbox', and that word niggles me so much because it is such a daft and unnecessary word.

Kind Regards, John

Perhaps, before you shout your mouth off, you might consider that plugtop might be a recognised term in certain areas. In the 23 years I have been in the trade all the electricians I have ever known and all the wholesalers I have frequented have refered to them as plugtops.
Why have they?

Who was the very first person to look at a plug, and say "I know - I'll call this a plugtop instead"?

And why was he allowed to get away with it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back