Two appliances in one plug

Sponsored Links
plugtop / plug ?

Who gives a monkeys anyway? just so long as all concerned have identified and agreed that we are talking about the thingy'm'jig on the opposite end of the wire to the telly or hoover etc, and does have the fuse in it.

The word doesnt make much sense to me, but it seems to be accepted :confused: move on...

But what is far more important is the use of the phrase 'top-up' whether its to do with fluids, phone credit or whatever. It makes my blood boil.
When people say this, i tend to get a vision of me ripping their wind pipe out by hand and trumpeting the 'last post' through it as they blub and gasp toward their miserable death.

Some people say thats an overreaction, do i have issues? :evil:

Sponsored Links
Perhaps I'm allowed just one 'soapbox', and that word niggles me so much because it is such a daft and unnecessary word.

Yes, I can sympathise. There are many things that "push my button"
One of them is when someone says "Oh you'r an electrician - do you fit kitchens and tile the splashbacks" My response is always a professional
"no I'm afraid we only do electrics and electronics" but deep inside I want to dilute their kitchen in a glass of water (possibly add some grip-fill too) and make them drink it :)

The problem is that once the term has become used its very hard to lose it, like you I get concerned when a wrong term gets introduced into a thread by someone who should have known better. (General comment, not specifically aimed at this thread)
I don't think it's actually true to say that the word 'plugtop' is actually 'a wrong term' - as far as the electrical trade is concerned, it's a correct and well-established technical term. My problem is therefore not related to correctness but, rather, to the fact that it is such a ridiculous and unnecessary word, and a word which certainly should not be used in communication with the general public, many/most of whom will probably not understand it.

If the trade had some good reason (I can't imagine what!!) for wanting to change from 'plug', they might at least have invented some completely new word, not used something which sounds as if it's refering to part of a plug! ... and, in any event, why do they only seem to use the word in relation to 13A BS1363 plugs, and not the thousands of other types of plug which are out there?

Kind Regards, John.

Perhaps 'wrong' was not the correct word to have chosen but I cant think of a more appropriate one in this situation, otherwise I'm in total agreement with your comments.

I think other plugs are not described as plugtops because generally they are used in a 'professional' environment [ie non domestic] such as theatres.
Interestingly spell check has no suggestions for a correction.

This reminds me of Anatomy. Since its a pretty 'static' discipline (or, at least, one which evolves incredibly slowly), in order to justify their existance, academic anatomists seem to spend much of their time sitting on committes that regularly re-name everything - seemingly just to make sure that earlier generations become confused! The excuse is usually 'increased clarity' (or 'increased correctness'). Whilst that may sometimes be true for newcomers to the subject, it sure ain't true for those who were educated under a previous regime!

Kind Regards, John.
The mathematicians too - did you know that today is τ Day? :D

I heard about Tau-day this morning in the car, and was anticipating some fundamental breakthrough. Bit disappointed I have to say.

This reminds me of Anatomy. Since its a pretty 'static' discipline (or, at least, one which evolves incredibly slowly), in order to justify their existance, academic anatomists seem to spend much of their time sitting on committes that regularly re-name everything - seemingly just to make sure that earlier generations become confused! The excuse is usually 'increased clarity' (or 'increased correctness'). Whilst that may sometimes be true for newcomers to the subject, it sure ain't true for those who were educated under a previous regime!

Kind Regards, John.
The mathematicians too - did you know that today is τ Day? :D

This conversation is giving me a cardiac tampanard, I mean a headache. To make matters worse, i'm trying to calculate the volume for a circular foundation with PI = 1476.333 . My concrete supplier is telling me they need more lorries :unsure:

If the trade had some good reason (I can't imagine what!!) for wanting to change from 'plug', they might at least have invented some completely new word, not used something which sounds as if it's refering to part of a plug!
Lack of thinking.

Which leads me to my theory (or "guess", if you prefer).

When wall-warts appeared, they were known as "plug-top power supplies", on account of them being built onto or into the top of a plug.

Enough people who were not good at thinking started believing that "If this is a plug-top power supply then that must be a plug-top"....

It is worth nothing that the people who support the use of the word are, by and large, trolls and ***ts, so if you feel more in common with them than you do those who point out that the word is ridiculous and unnecessary, go ahead.

That's a really nice attitude from someone who is not even in the trade. So if you come to my neck of the woods you'll be in step and everyone else will be out of step will they. Think again. Finit.

That's a really nice attitude from someone who is not even in the trade.
If you conspire with idiots to debase my language I'll not be inclined to be nice.

So if you come to my neck of the woods you'll be in step and everyone else will be out of step will they.
Yes.

Think again.
I don't need to think again.

You represent, or are defending, a linguistically incompetent minority who invented a word which had no value whatsoever.

There are around 400 million people for whom English is their first language. Aberrant minorities are not the ones in step, no matter what local concentrations exist.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q="plugtop" - 79,700 results

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q="plug+top" - 998,000 results

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=plug - 527,000,000 results

Have only been a member for a few weeks but I feel like I know everyone so well :)

How about diynot big brother

:evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back