Wiring lighting circuit upstairs & downstairs together?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My consumer unit has only 6 fuseway fitted with 2x 5amp,2x 15amp and 2 x 30amp cartridge fuses I need a spare fuseway for future electrical diy project. I am thinking of wiring all the lighting circuit wires which uses two 5 amp fuseway, one for upstairs and the other downstairs all into one 5amp fuseway? By doing this would leave me with a spare fuse way. Is this safe to do?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I know it is a fag, but you are better off replacing your unit altogether.

2 circuits should not be lumped together on one fuse like this. At the very least it will be inconvenient: if the fuse blows, the whole house lighting will go down.

In replacing the unit, you can "design in" as much space as you need, and at the same time upgrade to mcb's/rcd's/ rcbo's etc..

Indeed you will need to do this for certain if your "project" is a high powered shower. If your existing unit is a 6-way Wylex, with a 60A main switch, it is not intended to supply a circuit >30A anyway. In which case it will need upgrading to 100A, and while you're at it, are the main fuse, meter and supply tails able to handle 100A?

Talk to your REC (Regional Electricity Co) about the fuse & meter. Tell them what you intend to do and ask them if it will need upgrading.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back