Two separate electric sockets wired into one fuseway.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There are two 13A socket outlets, each one is wired with its own 2.5 sq mm cable into one 15 Amp fuseway. (is this referred to as a radial circuit?).

My question is " does this conform to regulations.?" Clearly if both outlets were used simultaneously each drawing the max 13A, the circuit breaker will trip. I don't mind this as I do not intend to use both the appliances simultaneously. On the odd occasion when this happens in error, I know it is all safe as the circuit breaker will shut down both of them.

Sponsored Links
Perfectly correct and normal. It is usually unlikely that two high-current appliances would be in use simultaneously for long periods unless one of them's a tumble dryer.

Sponsored Links
Perfectly correct and normal. It is usually unlikely that two high-current appliances would be in use simultaneously for long periods unless one of them's a tumble dryer.
I wouldn't say it is 'perfectly correct' as presumable the design current could be 26A therefore the OPD might be classed as underrated.

Yes, it's allowed - not ideal as you have noticed.
You could have a 25A breaker.
Wouldn't be a standard circuit configuration then though would it? :)
Not sure I understand. What is a standard circuit configuration?

Using all sorts of regulations, it could have a 50A OPD.

[RINGS BELL]
You don't know that the cables are < 3m long.
[/AND RUNS AWAY :mrgreen:]

I wouldn't say it is 'perfectly correct' as presumable the design current could be 26A therefore the OPD might be classed as underrated.
As often discussed, "design current" is really a crystal ball job when it comes to a socket circuit. However, a 20A / 2.5mm² radial with, say, 10-20 13A 'outlets' would not be unusual, nor non-compliant.
Indeed. I don't really understand, either. I guess he probably means that it is not a circuit arrangement described in Appendix 15 or the OSG - but "so what"?!

Kind Regards, John

Clearly if both outlets were used simultaneously each drawing the max 13A, the circuit breaker will trip.

Indeed, and if 10 outlets on a ring final were used simultaneously each drawing the max 13A, the 32A circuit breaker will trip.

But no one does this.

Yes, it's allowed - not ideal as you have noticed.
You could have a 25A breaker.
Wouldn't be a standard circuit configuration then though would it? :)

Using all sorts of regulations, it could have a 50A OPD.
I guess he is talking about the "standard" circuit arrangements mentioned in the OSG of 30/ 32A ring final using 2.5mm² or the 30/ 32A radial using 4.00mm² or the 20A radial using 2.5mm².

In my last job I had an interesting "discussion" (read disagreement!) with an NIC spark who said that our work was not compliant because there were two conductors leaving a 15A fuseway destined for two separate outlets.

He swore the regs would only allow one conductor to leave the fuseway to be compliant.

When I mentioned the OSG, his response was "Well, that's a guide and not the regs. We only go by the regs...."

I guess he is talking about the "standard" circuit arrangements mentioned in the OSG of 30/ 32A ring final using 2.5mm² or the 30/ 32A radial using 4.00mm² or the 20A radial using 2.5mm².
That's what I said (without mentioning the actual numbers)!

Kind Regards, John

In my last job I had an interesting "discussion" (read disagreement!) with an NIC spark who said that our work was not compliant because there were two conductors leaving a 15A fuseway destined for two separate outlets. ... He swore the regs would only allow one conductor to leave the fuseway to be compliant. When I mentioned the OSG, his response was "Well, that's a guide and not the regs. We only go by the regs...."
Forget the OSG - you should have asked him which of the regs ("which he goes by") forbids it! There is nothing in the regs which says that a branch of a radial (or a spur of a ring final) can't originate at the circuit's OPD, just as they can originate at any other point in the circuit. The regs are just a set of regulations, not an "exhaustive cookbook" - so, provided it does not contravene any of those regs, something is not non-compliant because it is not specifically mentioned in the regs book!.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back