containing a bamboo for childrens climbing frame/playhouse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi ive just bought a Bamboo Vivax Aureocaulis from ebay, (hopefully it will survive and grow) was just wondering on how to plant and keep it contained. I was thinking of digging a large hole about 8foot long 3foot wide and about 3foot deep to plant it, first question is would that be large enough and deep enough allowing for the bamboo to grow and spread, second question is would thick radon barrier plastic that i have left over from building the house be thick enough to use as a root barrier and the third question is do i need to put barrier on the bottom of the hole to stop roots escaping?

any help on the subject much appreciated

also reading on websites some say this bamboo is clump forming and some say that its a runner, anybody know for sure?

Sponsored Links
if its happy where it is it may stay in a clump if it wants to move you will not stop it

I think that is one of the very biggest golden varieties and I would definately go with the root barrier. Something woven would be better as it would be stronger. A double layer of your radon barrier and some woven landscape fabirc would do the trick.

Sponsored Links
i've got plenty of room for it to grow, we've got a large wooden climbing frame/playhouse i made a few years ago for the kids and planted some honeysuckles to climb over it as the kids call it their tree house i thought i would try and climb something over it to give the covered in leaves impression, the honeysuckles have not done very well and look like they haven't got a lot of life in them so i thought i'd dig a big trench behind it and plant 1 or 2 big bamboos, was only an idea that popped into my head and now it has to be done! never done anything with bamboo before so not sure how it'll look, some large culms and some leaves might hopefully give it a bit of a jungle theme?

any other ideas more than welcome

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back