continuity earth and live but not tripping board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Gents

have an odd problem I think, I have checked earth and live on the sockets and found continunity between the two.

It does not trip the board, RCD's are not fitted. Voltage is not present.

Is this a fault or normal.

Same would go for the lighting circuit I guess, but not checked yet.

Thanks as would appreciate some thoughts on this matter.

David

Sponsored Links
what are you testing with?

is there continuity between neutral and earth?

are things plugged in?

Thanks John

Checking with multimeter, not present between negative and earth or neg and live.

fuse off at board but circuit still intact

does this help

Sponsored Links
Depending on the type of suppliers earth your installation has, it is quite common (and correct) to have continuity between N and E. Not between L and E.

1) Can you post a photo of the supplier's incoming cable, the service head on it where the main fuse is and meter tails come out; the meter and your consumer unit; and the cables between them

2) Look again for crossed N and P cables on the circuit. Appliances will still work and fuse will not blow but it is a source of danger.

3) test on a lighting or other circuit. there may be an error in your consumer unit connection. It is very unusual (but not unheard of) for the supplier to have made a mistake with the meter tails.

p.s. unless you have a DC supply, you have not got a "negative" conductor

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back