Conventional system - CH ok, but no HW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My dad has a conventional indirect heating system (Y-plan i think, vented, pumps thru a diverter valve, switching to HW tank/radiators).

When switching on the Randal 103 timer switch the boiler & pump comes on but the boiler shuts down after about 5 mins or less. At this stage the pipe at the bottom of the HW tank has become hot but the pipe at the top is still cold.

If you slide the diverter valve lever over to manual, all three pipes to & from the valve are equally as hot. The boiler remains on and the radiators get hot as expected.

Being green to this kind of fault I disconnected both pipes to the HW tank to ensure that the tank coil is clear which it is.

Apologies for not having the full manuafacture information yet since I am assisting my dad & I haven't recorded the full details yet.

Perhaps someone may be able to comment in principle on what the cause might be for there being no HW with the lower pipe getting hot but the upper pipe remaining cold? I'll get more info tonight when I call in the hope someone can advise.
Many thanks.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back