Converting a single socket to double

No, because it explicitly states that 14A is intended to test a moderate overload ...
That presumably is the (reasonable) intent but I have to say that I cannot find anywhere where BS1363 states that, 'explicitly' or otherwise. In any event ...
.... (and does not constitute its rating).
BS1363 certainly does not say that. In fact, as far as I can see, it says absolutely nothing about "rating" (other than in relation to fuses) anywhere.

What you don't seem to grasp is that the Standard specifies minimum requirements. There is absolutely nothing which prevents someone manufacturing a product which exceeds those minimum requirements and then, on the basis of their own testing, specifying it as having an appropriate "rating".

If you could find one (which I doubt), what would you say about the "rating" of an unfused 3-gang socket, for which BS1363 requires a temperature rise test with loads of 2 x 14A (i.e. 28A total)?

Sponsored Links
What you don't seem to grasp is that the Standard specifies minimum requirements.
That is not completely true.

Many aspects of Standards are minimum requirements, but there absolutely are times where there are precise requirements.

That is not completely true. Many aspects of Standards are minimum requirements, but there absolutely are times where there are precise requirements.
I was talking about "the Standard" (i.e. BS1363) and, indeed, even more specifically about the temperature rise test in that particular standard.

There are, of course, situations in which a Standard will include 'precise requirements' (e.g. in defining dimensions of a "6mm bolt"). However, whenever Standards relate to matters of safety (as in the example we're discussing), they will be minimum (safety) requirements.

It would be crazy to 'outlaw' sockets which did not result in as great a temperature rise (under the specified test conditions) as the figure specified in BS1363 - i.e. one which required more than the BS1363 test current to result in the specified degree of temperature rise!

Anyway, you have still evaded my question. Since you have asserted that a double socket is 'rated' at 20A, because that is the test current for the BS1363 temperature-rise test, do you believe that a triple unfused socket (if you can find one) is 'rated' at 28A?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back