Converting bath/shower mixer to separate bath plus shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1970s bungalow. Hot water and central heating are supplied from a traditional hot water tank/cold water tank. Both of these are situated in the loft. I am a newbie level plumber.

Currently I have a bath/shower mixer tap. Lift the button and the hot/cold water mix shoots up the shower cable. Simple and easy and gives me a satisfactory flow rate for a shower. I am replacing the bath at the moment and retiling the bathroom wall, so now is an opportune time to change things.
I would like to dump this set up and have (i) Conventional hot and cold taps for filling the bath, as well as (ii) A modern shower mixer halfway up the wall.

To do this I will have to extend/modify the existing water pipework.

* I was thinking of putting T-pieces in the existing pipes and then adding a pipe to run up the wall. Using compression or push-fit connectors. Would dividing the water pipes like this pose any problems re. flow rate, either for the new shower or the bath?

* Running pipes up the wall. Can these be buried/chased into the wall? A surface mounted shower mixer is OK, but I would rather have the supply pipes hidden.

* If any of this is too much for a plumbing newbie, I will just replace the existing bath/shower mixer taps with newer ones.

Thanks,
Mike

Sponsored Links
You have to decide which shower and check manufacturers instructions.

They will usually require separate hot and cold feeds from storage cistern and hot water cylinder.

It also depends on what the water pressure will be at the shower as most will not work, at least not very well, with poor pressure.

>You have to decide which shower and check manufacturers instructions.<

OK. Shouldn't be a major problem.

>They will usually require separate hot and cold feeds from storage cistern and hot water cylinder.<

So I can't just tee from the bath supply pipes? I fuigured this would be OK as I would never be using both the basth and shower at the same time.

>It also depends on what the water pressure will be at the shower as most will not work, at least not very well, with poor pressure.<
The head will be 6 ft less than that for the bath, I guess. The current bath/shower mixer gives an acceptable shower pressure, but the hot and cold are combined together 6 ft lower down, I suppose.

Thanks
Mike

Sponsored Links
So I can't just tee from the bath supply pipes? I fuigured this would be OK as I would never be using both the basth and shower at the same time
No, check the MI's

The head will be 6 ft less than that for the bath, I guess. The current bath/shower mixer gives an acceptable shower pressure, but the hot and cold are combined together 6 ft lower down, I suppose.
Check this post from Tuesday //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=95896
You'll find plenty of posts on the forum about new showers/taps not working as well as expected.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back