Converting cold feed shower to Power shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At the moment I have a Triton T100i 9.5 Kw shower, the wife wants a power shower fitted...there is no header tank fitted where we live, the hot water comes from a combi boiler.What would I have to do to fit a power shower.Thanking you in advance.

Sponsored Links
HI Nashka^^

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but power showers are not suitable for fitting with a combi boiler. By law (Water Regs) you're not allowed to pump the mains supply, for the reason that your pump could cause a reverse flow in neighbouring homes!

If you're really determined to fit a power shower your best (and pretty much only) bet is to have a cold tank and a hot tank fitted and run the power shower (pump) off them.

I'd think very carefully about this. Does the combi not provide shower water at mains pressure already?

What would I have to do to fit a power shower.
Put simply, you'd have to buy a new boiler :eek: Or possibly modify your existing system to feed a hot water cylinder which could then be hooked to a power shower.

Which boiler do you have? Larger ones will provide a shower approaching the level of a good power shower. Smaller ones will still provide a good shower but at a lower flow rate. Pretty much any combi will produce a better shower than your existing electric one, assuming your mains pressure is anything like up to spec. Remember the combi provides hot water at approaching mains pressure, so the only limit on your shower is how fast it can heat up the water.

Sponsored Links
Why on earth is there a 9.5kW electric element heating the mains water supply on demand when you have a 20kW+ gas combi capable of doing the same thing!? Why would anyone install a combi if it's not supplying DHW on demand? Is the electric shower the only one in the house, or is it in a loft conversion or granny-annex type of setup?

Either way the logical solution is to take a hot supply to your shower from the combi and use the existing mains cold supply to feed cold only. No new boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back