Converting Victorian cow shed / garage

M1t

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to convert my Victorian out building into a summer house / gym. The floor is brick and very damp but also has a slope of about 7cm across 3.5m it is also very uneven. I have already put a DPC into the walls and now I need to damp proof and level the floor. Should I:

1) flatten the floor using soft sand (to prevent DPM tearing) lay a DPM and then a concrete slab to level.
Or
2) lay a concrete slab to level onto the brick and then tank / use a liquid dpm
Or
3) another method... I’m open to suggestions.

I am a little concerned that with option 1 the weight of the concrete slab will be pushing against the single down hill wall.

Thanks in advance for the help

Sponsored Links
I had similar... I took up the brick floor, that was laid on sand directly on soil.

As I had the room to make up the floor, I started from scratch:

Hardcore
Sand
DPM
Concrete
Insulation
UFH
Screed

Are you intending to finish on the concrete slab?

You can apply a 25mm Thick border of celotex to the wall, (Height as you need) this allows for the slab to expand/contract without putting pressure On The Wall.

Thanks for the celotex tip.

Yes I plan to finish on the concrete. As it’s not going to be “habitable” I am trying to avoid going the full hog and taking up the brick but I guess I might have to bite the bullet.

Only comment I’d make is uninsulated concrete floors are cold, it would be better if you could get some insulation in it.

You could put cheapo polystyrene/celotex type insulation down and concrete over it and not bother with screed.

my workshop is not insulated and your feet get chilly, especially in winter.

Sponsored Links
Lostinthelight did you use the foam glass aggregate with a normal DPM?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back