Cooker and Shower connected by same fuse?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi my bro in law went to fit a new cooker for me today, but wouldnt as he said the fuse box is illegal as the cooker and shower are connected by same fuse? is this correct before i go to my landlord about it? :cry:

Sponsored Links
It is not illegal directly because the regulations regarding electrical installations are not statutory. But the 'Duty Holder' ie the landlord has a responsibility to maintain a safe installation.
At best the two connected together could cause an inconvienience if the fuse were to blow through overload if both appliances were run together.
At worst the fuse could overheat and cause a fire due to overloading or poor connection.

all i know it has a 45 amp fuse for both :) means nothing to me lol

doesnt sound good having a fire thou :eek:

doesnt sound good having a fire thou :eek:

Worst case scenario, but still a possibility.

As a matter of interest is the shower protected by a Residual Current Device. (it will say on it something like 63A/80A/100A ---30mA/0.03A and should have a test button on it) ?

Sponsored Links
in this house it wouldnt shock me, i dont think the wiring is any good, if i switch off a plug socket there is often a blue spark! also sometimes the lights flicker :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back