cooker appliances options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
We're confused about what kitchen appliances we are able to use as we've been given contradictory information by two local electricians. Please excuse my complete ignorance on the terminology below - hopefully you get the general gist.

We want:
- an induction hob on an island, which is rated 32A
- a built in microwave, rated 16A (needs hardwiring by an electrician)
- a built in single oven, rated 16A (needs hardwiring by an electrician)

We have
- a dedicated cooker circuit which previously supplied a 32A double oven
- the main sockets circuit (which also says 32A on the circuit board).

So I guess it's a given that the dedicated cooker cable is used for the induction hob.

One electrician says we can connect the oven/microwave to the main sockets ring as we have capacity to power 32A of appliances and there is a principle of diversity meaning it is unlikely everything will be used at to its full power at the same time, hence little risk.

The other said, no, the oven and the microwave also needs to be on a separate circuit back to the fuse board, as the main sockets can only accommodate appliances up to 13A. They said we need to find oven and microwave that you can simply plug in to a standard socket, however this seems to restrict the options quite significantly.

Is there a right or wrong answer?

If the second answer is correct, is there an option for us to find a 13A induction hob to plug in but use the dedicated cooker cable to supply both (or one of) the oven and microwave ?

Thanks in advance
John

Sponsored Links
Well, because of what we call diversity - that is the way cooking appliances, even when all on, cycle their heating elements on and off all the time - it is acceptable to have up to 15kW (possibly 19kW) of appliances on a 32A circuit.
So, you need to determine what the actual ratings of all your appliances are.
As well as one electrician saying because of diversity you could have oven and microwave on the socket circuit, by the same reasoning you could have them all on the cooker circuit.

It is true you can only have up to 13A plugged in to a socket. There are adequate ovens and microwaves which come with a plug for this reason.

Also there are 13A hobs but this is misleading because they have more than 13A of rings but limit the current electronically to 13A at any one time.

Therefore I would definitely have a normal hob and work out the other two to whatever is available.

You state that the appliances are rated at 32A and 16A. This might not be the case.

My opinion: diversity or not, even through a 13amp plug, The manufacturer says hardwire.
You should not have 16AMP appliances connected to a ring final.
You should especially not have two
16AMP appliances connected to a ring final. The ring final circuits will already be powering other high demand appliances: washing machine, dishwasher, tumble dryer, kettle, etc etc.

Use the existing 32amp “cooker” circuit for the induction hob.
You need a new 32amp circuit to power the other two 16AMP ovens.

No one suggested having 16A appliances on the socket circuit.

The oven and microwave might just be quoted as needing a 16A supply because that is what they have in Europe.

What actual rating do you think a 32A hob is?

Sponsored Links
Thanks to you both for responding, much appreciated.
An example of the oven we want is this which appears to require a 3.2kw electrical connection. I guess this can not be connected to the socket circuit in any way?
https://ao.com/product/bps355020m-aeg-electric-single-oven-stainless-steel-67055-45.aspx

Looks like this microwave is 13 Amp / 2.1kw but needs hardwiring. Assume an electrician can somehow connect this to our socket circuit despite it not having a plug.
https://ao.com/product/kme525800m-aeg-microwave-black-76271-50.aspx

If we went for this microwave....which says 16amp / 2.1kw / needs hardwiring.... Can this be connected to socket circuit ? the 16Amp bit has thrown me as I thought 2.1kw would translate to less than 13Amps.
https://ao.com/product/zvenw6x1-zanussi-microwave-stainless-steel-75420-50.aspx

Thanks

If we went for this microwave....which says 16amp / 2.1kw / needs hardwiring.... Can this be connected to socket circuit ? the 16Amp bit has thrown me as I thought 2.1kw would translate to less than 13Amps.
2.1kW @ 240V is 8.75A so can be supplied through a socket and plug - with a 10A or 13A fuse.
2100/240=8.75.

Stating it requires a 16A fuse is pointless and misleading. There are no 16A fuses for commonly used accessories in the UK.

As I said, what there are, are 16A circuits in Europe.

So all your worrying about 16A this and 32A that is no indication of what you actually require.

Our 900W (~4A) microwave is rated at 4.6A (and measures 4.4A)

The description I see shows it is a 1000W microwave and grill. Electrical rating 2100W

1000W μ ~4.35A assuming same losses ~5.1A. (4.9)
Is there any chance it's a 2.1KW grill at 9A ? (1100W doesn't seem much {our cookers top oven dual grill measures 5.3/8.2A})
Total 14A?

This is guessing as something doesn't seem to add up.

1673556996422.png

1673557185814.png

2.1kW @ 240V is 8.75A so can be supplied through a socket and plug - with a 10A or 13A fuse.
2100/240=8.75.

Stating it requires a 16A fuse is pointless and misleading. There are no 16A fuses for commonly used accessories in the UK.

As I said, what there are, are 16A circuits in Europe.

So all your worrying about 16A this and 32A that is no indication of what you actually require.

Is that because they are on radials rather than a ring? And if so, what is the radial rated at in the consumer unit on the continent?

-----edit- having re-read your post, I guess that those radials might be 16 amps..

Is that because they are on radials rather than a ring? And if so, what is the radial rated at in the consumer unit on the continent?

-----edit- having re-read your post, I guess that those radials might be 16 amps..
Not sure what exactly you mean.

If it has a 13A plug it can be plugged into the socket circuit - ring or radial likely 32A - or a socket fitted on the 32A cooker circuit.

Not sure what exactly you mean.

If it has a 13A plug it can be plugged into the socket circuit - ring or radial likely 32A - or a socket fitted on the 32A cooker circuit.

Sorry. My bad.

I was having a senior moment and misread your post.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back