cooker diversity

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to install a cooker (3.5kw) and ceramic hob in a kitchen. The hob rating is a total of 6.4 Kw (thats 4 x 1.6kw for each plate)

There is an existing supply in approx 10M of 6sq mm T&E. Currently this terminates onto a ccu with socket. Assuming I replace the ccu for one without a socket:

6.4KW + 3.5 KW = 9.9kW = 43A

The proteus/centaur CU only has MCBs available in up to 40A.

Looking at the OSG it appears I am allowed diversity for cooking appliances of 10A + 30% of rated current, so therefore my total design current could be calculated as 26.92A (Hob -10A + 5.35A) + (cooker (10A + 1.57A)

My question is have I interpreted the above correctly, and if so what should be the size of the protective device 32A allowing for diversity, or >40A for total theoretical load ?

Sponsored Links
You're looking in the wrong place for whether this is allowable or not - is the 6mm buried in the wall or clipped direct? If the cable is ok then 40 amps should be plenty.

If the cable is buried in the plaster in some places and clipped to joist in others (not covered in thermal insulation) its reference method 1 which is 47A.

The route for the cable from the CU is up into the loft thru plaster, along into above kitchen then down in the plaster to CCU.

Sponsored Links
Hello,
Noticed this 10A + 30% of rated current equation on here the other day.
Isn't it 10A + 30% of the remaining rated current :eek: ?? (+5 if s/o inc).

Christmas morning must push many cookers close to overloading the mcb :LOL: ??

Ed

Looking at the curve for a 40A mcb, it wont trip at 55A for over 10,000 seconds!

Sorry Dunny,

I see that you did the calc using the remaining A etc.. :oops: :oops:

Ed

Thannks EdwardCurrent. Does that mean my calcs are OK? What should the MCB be ?

Hello Dunny,

I would fit a 30A mcb to protect the cable. As you say your design current will be @6200W. (@27A).(Fitting a larger mcb will probably mean your cable size will need to be 'upped', (no need in your case ;) ).).

Hope this helps.

Ed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back