Cooker hood and booster fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to vent a cooker hood a good few metres, with a few bends so was looking at the idea of a booster fan. I presume that these are wired to come on with the hood itself, rather than being a separate unit with its own on/off? What I wasn't certain about was how to ensure that it has the correct throughput to match the hood which will probably have a range of speed settings - any ideas on balance? Should the booster match the max setting of the hood fan in terms of litres/sec? That may be a bit duff when the hood is at minimum setting.

I suppose there is always the possibility of having only one loft-mounted fan for the whole thing? But what sort of vent/hood would be used? Just to note, the ceiling are approx 11' high.

Sponsored Links
You could consider an in-line duct fan, with a variable speed control attached.
If this equipment is to be located in the ceiling floor void, firstly you need space and second access for inspection,test and maintenance.

If you are running a duct, it will be difficult through standard floor joists, as you are not permitted to notch(1/8th) or hole(1/4th) more than the depth of them.

i have plenty of space in the loft, and i like the idea of the quietness of inline. what would be used thought as a vent/hood for these type of things?

Sponsored Links
the cooker hood or whatever sits above the hob - if its an inline fan would the hood be of a different type to standard which tends to have a fan inbuilt?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back