Cooker hood ducting and chimney issue

AzK

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We routed some ducting through our kitchen ceiling for a cooker hood. But because of where the first ceiling joist was, we couldnt have the ducting flush against the wall.

Instead we lost about 10cm or so and had to start there. It also meant that the ducting is at a slight angle from the ceiling and then when it joins the actual cooker hood.

The problem now is that the top of the ducting sticks out a little too much which means the chimney of the hood cant go flush up to the ceiling nor the back wall.

If I place the chimney on the hood, it could be flush with the back wall, but if I leave a 7-10cm gap between the top of the chimney and the ceiling. It is a bit unsightly.

Its the angle of the ducting and the top section of the ducting being a tad bit too far from the wall.

It is a new kitchen and everything is in place, apart from this final obstacle.

In the attached picture, the blue line is roughly where the joist is and the red line is roughly part of the ducting that would be exposed. (Ignore the grey tape as this is temporary until I permanently secure everything in place)

Does anyone have any reasonable suggestions as to what we could do?

Attachments

• Slide1-crop.JPG
    Slide1-crop.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 82
Sponsored Links
Could you maybe custom fabricate a wider/ shallower elbow, to maintain the air capacity, but fit into a smaller space, tighter to the joist/wall?

Light weight galv ducting steel is quite inexpensive, cuts with tin snips and can be joined with pop rivets and sealant. Make up a cardboard template first.

• Thanks
Reactions: AzK
Could you forget about using the chimney from the hood and cover the gap with a cabinet door?
It sort of defeats the point of having a hood with a chimney, but it depends on your level of desperation! :)

Sponsored Links
Could you forget about using the chimney from the hood and cover the gap with a cabinet door?
It sort of defeats the point of having a hood with a chimney, but it depends on your level of desperation! :)
This is something I have considered. Either installing a cabinet or door - even if its a false one! But almost as a last resort

Fit false back between cupboards 10cm deep then things should align.
I did consider this but it would mean the cooker hood would be a lot further forward than the hob underneath. But it is an option

I did consider this but it would mean the cooker hood would be a lot further forward than the hob underneath. But it is an option
You hob will be 5-7cm forward of the rear wall so hob only a few cm’s forward.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back