cooker hood extraction distance.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Does anyone know if I can vent my cooker hood through the chimney. I have just removed the middle of the fire breast in the kitchen and will install the cooker there. The extractor will obviously be above it but there is no where for the flue to go apart from straight up the chimney. The run will be about 6m.
Don't really want to just use the charcoal filters if I can help it.

A friend of mine said that the cold air mixed with the warm will cause condensation inside the flue and may run back down into the motor causing it to burn out.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Tony.

Sponsored Links
yes you will get condensation from the steamy extractor, and also a build-up of grease deposits in the chimney. It will tend to soak into the wall and leave wet, greasy, dirty stains through the plaster paint and wallpaper which are very difficult to cover up (you can't remove them).

You might consider putting a liner in the flue, such as used to be used for gas fires. Or you could just hire a Core Drill and make a 105mm hole through the wall and vent through that. It is surprisingly easy. You then put a plastic duct from the hood through the wall with a cowl on the outside to keep rain and wind out.

Thanks for the speedy reply John. Why will I get grease deposits if the flexible hose goes all the way to the top of the chimney. Also, I am semi detached, I dont think my neighbours would be too impressed if I drilled into their kitchen with a core drill. I have a core drill but the only option would be to vent out the side of the breast and out through the side wall. This will only be about 8 feet but the problem is drilling through about 4 feet of chimney breast.

My sister works for a gas company and said about a flue liner but she said I was talking mega bucks?

Cheers,

Tony.

Sponsored Links
grease and damp will happen if you don't use a duct or liner

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back