1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Cooker hood vent through eaves - terminating flat channel?

Discussion in 'General DIY' started by hopeless_at_diy, 2 Dec 2019 at 8:37 AM.

1. hopeless_at_diy

hopeless_at_diy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi,

I have a really stupid question about assembling ventillation pipe.

I want to vent my cooker hood through the eaves rather than go through the roof as I suspect it's cheaper, less effort and less visually disruptive.

The hood has max flowrate at 386m^3/h so a bit of research suggests I can get away with 5"/125mm (or equivalent flat channel).

It's a tight squeeze, so I was thinking of using some flat channel to exit the eaves, which look like:
    [​IMG]

I was looking at the Manrose catalogue and I can't work out what I need to terminate the flat channel? Can you just cut a hole, use one of the grilles and place the flat channel up against it? Not sure how it connects - if indeed it does.

I know there are 'airbricks' that look like a 'connectable' thing, but I don't have much vertical leeway - just 6cm at the outside edge.

A am thinking of using a flexible or 45 degree flat channel connecter at the left hand side is what I was thinking, just not sure if it has to go through an airbrick or can just poke into the 2cm wood of the eave (at number 9 above).

Hope that makes sense - I wish I had a selection of parts to 'play' with to see how these could fit together.

I have a toolstation, wickes, b&q and screwfix handy.

Thanks for any pointers!

Last edited: 2 Dec 2019 at 12:20 PM
  2. jj4091

jj4091

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Can you vent through the roof instead?

3. hopeless_at_diy

hopeless_at_diy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I'm sure it's possible. The bathroom, next door, is vented that way. See below:

[​IMG]

Is a roof vent install reversible? And aren't they pretty expensive?

It's certainly possible - but I'm very VERY wary of touching a roof as a non-expert given they are so important. It's something I've never dealt with.

Things that make me wary:
    * I don't know how slate tiles are even held in.
    * I wouldn't know how to remove slates without causing damage.
    * I don't know how to make sure the overall install doesn't leak.

I mean, I wouldn't know what to remove in what sequence and what to lay on what to do a roof vent install. I hope that makes sense?

That's why cutting a rectangle in a bit of wood and routing a plastic pipe to me seems to be the simplest option. I could be way off, of course!