Cooker hood vent through eaves - terminating flat channel?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a really stupid question about assembling ventillation pipe.

I want to vent my cooker hood through the eaves rather than go through the roof as I suspect it's cheaper, less effort and less visually disruptive.

The hood has max flowrate at 386m^3/h so a bit of research suggests I can get away with 5"/125mm (or equivalent flat channel).

It's a tight squeeze, so I was thinking of using some flat channel to exit the eaves, which look like:
NWdNFbo.jpg

I was looking at the Manrose catalogue and I can't work out what I need to terminate the flat channel? Can you just cut a hole, use one of the grilles and place the flat channel up against it? Not sure how it connects - if indeed it does.

I know there are 'airbricks' that look like a 'connectable' thing, but I don't have much vertical leeway - just 6cm at the outside edge.

A am thinking of using a flexible or 45 degree flat channel connecter at the left hand side is what I was thinking, just not sure if it has to go through an airbrick or can just poke into the 2cm wood of the eave (at number 9 above).

Hope that makes sense - I wish I had a selection of parts to 'play' with to see how these could fit together.

I have a toolstation, wickes, b&q and screwfix handy.

Thanks for any pointers!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I'm sure it's possible. The bathroom, next door, is vented that way. See below:

tLQ0F0p.png

Is a roof vent install reversible? And aren't they pretty expensive?

It's certainly possible - but I'm very VERY wary of touching a roof as a non-expert given they are so important. It's something I've never dealt with.

Things that make me wary:
* I don't know how slate tiles are even held in.
* I wouldn't know how to remove slates without causing damage.
* I don't know how to make sure the overall install doesn't leak.

I mean, I wouldn't know what to remove in what sequence and what to lay on what to do a roof vent install. I hope that makes sense?

That's why cutting a rectangle in a bit of wood and routing a plastic pipe to me seems to be the simplest option. I could be way off, of course!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back