Cooker set inot chimney breast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am just having the big old chimney in my kitchen opened so that i can sit a range type cooker into it, a gas one

the electrics haven't gone in yet.

do i need a cooker hood because it's a chimney anyway?
if we do put a cooker hood in, how can i find info about installing the wiring for it - my electrician hasn't put one in before

I have moved from the city, where people seem to have this done a lot, but out here in the sticks, I can't find a tradesman who has done it before - they are still blocking up chimneys here!!

help :)

Sponsored Links
The work you are doing is notifyable.
• Your electrician must be part P registered & if he hasn’t installed a cooker hood before & doesn’t know how to, I doubt he’s even an electrician!
• You gas range cooker installer must be “Corgi” registered
• If the work is part of a kitchen renovation, Building Regulations require forced extraction (fan) too an outside wall; there have been posts on this forum that would seem to indicate extraction into a flue is not acceptable so you should check with you local authority.

I would advise you to get proper advice from someone who knows what they are doing or you could end up breaking several regulations, severely out of pocket & may even be breaking the law!

Thanks for that
The electrician rewired the whole house and it's all very legal and above board, but the left the wiring for the chimney breast safely capped off and waited for the chimney breast to be open in order to chase it into the brick work

I am not sure where to tell him to put the switches and wiring for the cooker hood. he has obviously put hoods in, but just against a normal wall in a house

I can't find any examples to show workmen here, of a cooker set into a chimney. And i am not sure about the regulations regarding the type of cooker hood needed, or if i need one at all.

The jobs I am asking to be done seem to be unusual for people in the area I am living in and I have no idea how to get the right advice. Even a trawl round cooker shops this morning has made me none the wiser. I have no idea why this is proving so difficult, I just thought it was a standard job, but i can't find anyone with experience or who can visulaise what i see

I finally have a builder after 3 months of being let down, and he's doing his best. I am just trying to help as much as i can

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back