Cooker tripping RCD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Tonight the RCD tripped after my daughter opened and then closed the fridge. I thought the fridge was at fault, but after some investigating I'm pretty sure it's the cooker (gas top, electric oven) causing the problem. If I isolate the cooker, the RCD doesn't trip. The moment I turn it on, the RCD trips.

I've just had the back off the cooker (Rangemaster). When the power is turned on, there is a crackling and popping noise from terminal box at the rear where the mains power cable is wired in.

Any ideas what's causing this? Could this be what's causing the tripping? The noise is coming from the live wires (brown). The terminal box is a bit greasy - is that causing the noise?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Sounds dangerous. I would recommend getting an electrician or a cooker repair engineer around to look at it. Certainly don't use the cooker, it sounds like it could be a fire risk.

Sound like some thing's loose.
Does the RCD trip as soon as you put power to the cooker or do you need to operate something?

Mmmmmmmmm.....

Just unwired the cooker, turned on the mains to see if there was a mains fault, and then wired up the cooker again.

The noise has gone and the RCD isn't tripping. Touch wood.

A bad connection?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back