Cooling bedroom with extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im looking to cool a bedroom that has limited airflow for some reason!

The vent will need to be through the ceiling to a vent in the loft - I have the following questions:

• Would this need to be an inline fan if going via duct?
  • Would it be better to pull cool air into the room vs extracting hot out?
  • What fans would be best to do this? Looking for quiet vs dumping loads of hot air out!
  • Ideally would like something I can wire onto a plug so I can put on plug in loft and control via smart plug of some kind
Many thanks for advice!

Sponsored Links
Ideally you want an in and an out but an out will work
If you want to sleep, without sounding like a hoover is on, a large capacity slow speed fan is best

Does the Op realize that hot air rises and that the loft will be really hot on a hot day/night?

If the loft is the nearest/easiest way to get new air into the room then Id suggest trying to vent the loft more too.

Sponsored Links
A friend mine fitted one of those ceiling fans in his bedroom, he reckons its made a huge difference.

They are quiet because they turn slowly, but move air a lot with those big blades.

Yes ceiling fans are very effective, really pretty much silent nowadays but you have to make do with their appearance of course. Fannying around with fans through ducts via lofts like that is futile.

Am I missing the obvious? £15 floor fan from local shop is fine. Not as if we live in the Caribbean this weather will be here for another month maybe.

Ceiling fans above beds scare me.... but then again ive seen too many horror movies

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back