Cooling Fan Resistor

Reaction score
Country
Croatia
I have had my 2008 Chevrolet Spark for 11 years and it has been super reliable but on Wednesday it overheated on a hot day in a motorway traffic jam. I removed the thermostat, put in some water and I did complete my journey. I didn't think it was the thermostat but it was an easy thing to try with the few tools I had in the car. I suspected the fan but today I tested that by applying 12v to the motor and it works. What I did find was a white ceramic component near the radiator which looked cracked. This turns out to be the cooling fan resistor, a part I had never heard of. I tried to remove it but the connection screws had corroded and seized. A lump of the ceramic fell off when trying to undo the screws. What does this part do, is it a 2 speed fan and this gives the slow speed? If this part has failed would it cause the overheating? I intend to rig up a manual switch for the fan and possibly some kind of generic temperature gauge. The Spark does not have a temperature gauge and I now know you get about 5 seconds between the temperature warning light coming on and steam pouring out!

20220625_104225.jpg

Sponsored Links
If it is what I think it is - It is a dropper resistor, to provide the slow speed running of the fan. My car uses a similar idea. As the temperature rises, the slow speed kicks in, if the temperature continues to rise the full speed kicks in.

If I am correct, then my resistor also failed due to moisture getting at it. I replaced it with a much better quality higher wattage version - 0.47 Ohm, 50watts bought on ebay for around £10.

Thanks for the reply. I think I know what happened now I've looked in the fusebox. There are relays and fuses for low speed and high speed fans. The low speed fuse was OK but the high speed one had blown. When it got hot enough for the high speed fan to operate there would be no fan because of the blown fuse. Having scraped some rust off the connection screws I find the resistor is working electrically, it is not open circuit.

Sponsored Links
Of course, I think you have already solved the problem.
I also have a 2014 Chevrolet Spark and found the same problem a few days ago.
I purchased the resistor with part number P96656660 (0.45 ohm) from a Chevrolet parts store and replaced it.
After replacing that resistor, my measurements and calculations are as follows;
At low speed:
- Current: 8.2 A
- Voltage drop: 4.22 V
- Power consumption: 8.20 x 4.22 = 34.6 W
- Resistance: 4.22 / 8.2 = 0.51 ohm
At high speed:
- Current: 13.9 A
I wrote this for reference to others who may be experiencing this problem.

Back