copper pipe corrosion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently replaced siezed stop cock, just before loft water tank, and after I fitted a new stop tap in its place, the pipe had burst, after opening the valve. It was a pinhole on the lower side of the 15 mm copper pipe just next to nut/olive. I have sawn off that 1" of the pipe and soldered an appropriate exension. It was obvoius that the hole had been an accident waiting to happen. My guess is it had developed over years from a spot of solder flux, in constant touch with water into acidic type of corrosion. Any comments ?

Sponsored Links
I don't buy that. If flux was capable of causing corrosion in copper pipes then it wouldn't exactly be of much use would it?
I will certainly bow to scientific evidence on this one though of course.

There is a possibility that flux could be the culprit, some are much more corrosive than others. Although the flux inside the pipe would obviously be dissolved by the water in it any left on the outside of the joint will remain unless washed off. The fact that the pin hole was on the lower part of the pipe, also supports the fact that flux may have been to blame, obviously when a solder joint is made any excess fux and solder will collect on the bottom of the pipe

The moral of the story.... always wipe the outside of a solder connection with a wet cloth to remove any excess flux....

We had our household rain water analysed and found the copper in it was 100 times the recommended levels. The copper is from corroding pipes. 12 year old son is ill with copper poisoning.

Sponsored Links
We have had a similar problem where a 20 year old installation comprising a plastic header tank fed copper piping within the house has a verdigris build up on the inner surface. The corrosion has made a hole through the pipe. We believe that this has been caused by non earthing of the copper pipe which has enabled electro galvanic actions to take place. This has explained medical syptoms in the household family. The symptoms have been irritating rashes, headaches, sore gums and teeth and eye irritations. The piepes feed both bathroom and kitchen taps. This could be common in other houses where there is a mixture of plastic and copper piping where copper pipe is not earthed.

We have had a similar problem where a 20 year old installation comprising a plastic header tank fed copper piping within the house has a verdigris build up on the inner surface. The corrosion has made a hole through the pipe. We believe that this has been caused by non earthing of the copper pipe which has enabled electro galvanic actions to take place. This has explained medical syptoms in the household family. The symptoms have been irritating rashes, headaches, sore gums and teeth and eye irritations. The piepes feed both bathroom and kitchen taps. This could be common in other houses where there is a mixture of plastic and copper piping where copper pipe is not earthed.

All replys have been in regards to domestic water systems which are NOT statice as in fire sprinklers systems. Can anyone provide me with data on fux problems within a fire sprinkler system?

Would sprinkler systems not normally be piped with (galvanised) steel pipe - I have never seen a copper sprinkler system, although maybe domestic ones would use copper? There may be more information on the sprinker industry websites - try http://www.nfpa.org to start with.

IEE requirements are for metal piping to be earthed. No problem of water corrosion in hard water area as here in Essex.
I agree green corrosion on surface if flux not wiped off.
Could person suffering from copper poisoning expand on it as I have never heard of it happening. Is there a treatment? Any permanent damage?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back