Copper pipe corrosion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Dad had a shower installed 9 years ago. he has recentlly had the shower cubicle retiled and thinks the company doing this have damaged the pipe work in the process of removing the tiles, as he now has water coming through the ceiling.
The company who removed the tiles clain the problem has been caused by corrosion of the tiles by the plaster/cement in the wall. I know that cement can corrode copper, but thought it would take a lot longer than 9 years for this to occur.
Any advice would be great, thanks very much.

Sponsored Links
By coming through the ceiling I assume this to be an upstairs shower and water is coming through downstairs ceiling. (Unless the ceiling is tiled in the shower area).

A few of my thoughts.

You are certain that it is the supply to the shower and not the waste and possible leaks where new tiles meet shower tray etc. In other words the water is constantly leaking when no one in shower.

It's a difficult one as trying to now prove the tiler has punctured a supply pipe is going to a problem. He could have easily done this when chipping off the existing tiles, with what ever tool he was using. Having said that, he would have noticed water at that moment and would probably have come clean then. As water would have be obvious/present when retiling. That makes me think that the tiler probably didn't do it. Have you put in a soap dish or shelf and plugged and screwed the wall, thereby puncturing any buried pipework? :idea:

Sponsored Links
Leaking all the time apparently, trouble is that my Dad lives 150 miles away, I think the answer would be to replace the copper with plastic pipe and to check the joints at the same time. He's going to get the original plumber back and take it up with him!

Unless it's protected, it's common for copper to be rapidly attacked by salts from cement, in damp environments. As soon as the pipe's disturbed, it'll leak.
There has always been cheap copper pipe around, with a lot of inclusions, which can look like a spraybar after a while.

When you remove tiles you can't guarantee not to damage something lying just underneath. I wouldn't blame the plumber based on what you've said.

9 years and no leaks then the tiler comes in , You dont have to me in mensa to work this one out. As stated in previous posts the tiler has disturbed something . I for one would come in repair then bill the householder. Up to the householder to take it up with the tiler if he is at fault .But 9 years thats a wee bit long to blame the plumber for whatever reason .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back