Tile adhesive and grout corrosive to copper pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Often I fit new towel radiators as part of new bathroom installs and a tiler does his jobaround my pipework. I,ve noticed he never seems to wrap/ protect the bare copper pipe with anything and am wondering whether it will eventually corrode it. I know cement is corrosive and plaster is not, but what about tile adhesive and grout? :?:

Sponsored Links
Mad mod has obviously not fitted a bathroom suite and seen another trade possibly damage it long term with the blame being attributed to the plumber. Please reinstate to the plumbing forum for their views on this matter :cry: Lots of trainee plumbers are going to come across this, if the mod decides a tiler should comment on this then put it on both forums :D

Right, now that the mad mod has put it back to where it belongs in plumbing!

The answer is that tile grout seems to be very inert and does not normally corrode copper pipes.

In any case, I have to say that I would consider it to be the plumbers task to protect the pipe if that was necessary.

Its not necessary, but the petroleum jelly impregnated tape ( used to be called Denso Tape! ) would be suitable. ( Although it would look untidy! )

Tony

Ah, moved back from tiling forum before i,d finished moaning :cool: Any views appreciated :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
OK, my views:

"Denso tape" is nasty stuff, don't use it.

I've never known of grout corroding pipes, but I always protect mine anyway, I use white electrical insulating tape and trim it back with a sharp knife after the tiles have been grouted, you can't tell it's there. when all's done.

Shouldn,t the tiler do that ? After all my pipes were in 1st - "1 st up and best dressed" and all that. I try to do a quality job at the price quoted but often come up against people who don,t give a s***. Lost count of the number of times I have had to chip out a tile to move my copper pipe back to its original place to install my mixer shower after the tiler has been and gone and wont come back after being paid. :evil:

Shouldn,t the tiler do that?

Probably, but it's unlikely he will, so DIY.

I try to do a quality job at the price quoted but often come up against people who don,t give a s***. Lost count of the number of times I have had to chip out a tile to move my copper pipe back to its original place to install my mixer shower after the tiler has been and gone and wont come back after being paid. :evil:

Yeah know the feeling there, I once came up against a tiler who cut his holes for my nicely-positioned towel rail tails about an inch and a half out, and rather than getting another tile and redoing it, he bent the pipes over to fit his holes. Was not impressed.

I see you plumber types have pilferred this post from the tiling section. Booooo! Stay on your own side of the fence. :D
The reason that tilers do not protect pipework is because there's no need to. Yes the adhesive and grout is usually cement based and as we know cement is corrosive. But it's only corrosive when it's wet; when it's dry it's not. So for the few hours that it's wet, it's not a problem.
So fear not plumbers, save your tape. :LOL:
Right, I'm off back to the tiling section..... it's kinda spooky in here. :eek:

Even if it's only corrosive some of the time, it's still corrosive...

Just use chrome pipe to towel rail, i use this as it looks much better than copper and is already coated.

You will soon learn that tilers are not good at listening to instructions given by plumbers, in fact , this may upset them but they have caused me so many problems its unreal.

Never finish off round bath/shower with silicone, always say its plumbers job, well i suppose if it wants doing right it is yeah.
Oh dont remove tiles love, thats plumbers job , im a ceramics installer, dont get me started. :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back