Copper Pipe in Concrete Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Just installed a new garden tap and embedded the pipe into a concrete wall.

The bulk of the pipe is mdpe plastic however it crossed over to a short section of 15mm copper pipe which connected onto the bib tap.

Before the recess was sealed up using cement and sand, we covered the section of 15mm copper pipe with grey gaffer tape to keep the cement and sand mix off the copper pipe.

I have now learned that cement can attack copper pipe. Does any know if the gaffer tape will protect the copper pipe ?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
I'd say yes. It takes many years for the cement to attack the pipe and then it has to be damp too. If it is a dry wall, it'll never happen.

Hi Joe-90

The concrete wall has been built block on flat i.e. is over 200mm thick.

On the side where the tap is it will be scratch coated ( sand & cement ) which will have a waterproofer added.

The top coat will be wet render which will also have a waterproofer added. So I think that the cement and sand under this will never be wet.

I guess from what you are saying the cement will only attack the copper when it is damp ?

The only times I've ever seen it happen is when the concrete has been poured directly on an unprotected pipe as in a floor. And even then, the floor has been a damp floor. I've never seen a pipe through a wall suffer.

Sponsored Links
Joe

Do you mind if I send you a photo to show you the application to see what you think when you see it ?

Do you have an e-mail address that I could use ?

Cheers

I've just dug up a copper pipe which can only have been laid by having the wet concrete poured over it - which put it at about 30 years of being in there. I don't think you should worry too much about it :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back