Copper Pipes in Screed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hopefully this is in the right place....

I am re-building a shower room, turning it into more of a wetroom. The room is in a modern extension on the ground floor with a concrete floor.

In order to get the depth I need to form the shower base I have removed the existing screed and chased out a channel for the gully and waste.

I now need to re-pour the screed with formers to ensure the correct fall to the gully.

My problem.....

In the existing screed are two pipes - these are the hot and cold supply to the sink and toilet. They are plastic coated copper pipes and the coating is in pretty good condition with a few nicks and scuffs. The pipes were running in pipe insulation when I removed the old screed.

I know I need to allow for expansion and protect the copper from the lime in the screed, If I replace the pipe insulation with new Climaflex there will be very little cover over the pipes.

Can I use Thermawrap? It says on the pack that it meets water regs (but doesn't say which water regs!) the reduced thickness would allow me to get a much better thickness of screed over the top. I think that the Thermawrap would deal ok with expansion/contraction of the pipes and, as long as I wrap tightly, will protect the copper from the lime.

My alternative is to use Climaflex but to carve a flat side into it so I can get the depth I need.

What do you guys think? All advice gratefully received, as ever...

Nigel

Sponsored Links
ok - so, I have had an afternoon of head scratching, tape wielding, bubble watching and hole cutting.....

I am going to do the job 'properly' - I am going to terminate the copper underneath the stud wall, take a 90 degree elbow into plastic, then up the cavity into the ceiling void, through a couple of joists then down the stud wall on the other side to come out behind where the new sink unit is, taking a 'T' off midway to supply the shower.

Then I can get the screed at exactly the right level making the UF heating easier and the tiling a doddle (ahem!)

Would still appreciate any comments on the OP as I am always learning stuff.

Thanks,

Nigel

Denzo tape would be usual to cover pipes in screen etc. if the copper is coated then there is no need... Would not worry about expansion etc,
Your not talking about a large enough space...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back