corbel(ing)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
The question I have is can you extend an existing RSJ (in my case by 0.4m) or can you buy a pre made steel or concrete corbel to support one end of an RSJ an so allow an opening to be extended on one side.

The facts are that I have an existing extension that left an opening through the main cavity wall of the house of 3.7 metres with an RSJ above. Howver this has left 0.4 metres of wll jutting into the room on one side. I want to extend the opening on one side by this 0.4 of a metre. Originally I came up with the idea of corbeling the wall back so it would continue to support the RSL but give us additional floor space. The inner wall turned out to be breez block, Building regs said corbeling wasn't realy an option and as the inner wall was breeze block the answer was "no". I do not want to remove and replace the existing lintel just find a way of extending it. Anyone any ideas? I have searched the internet without sucess although I have found 2 old stone corbels that are 30 inches long and had thought of using these leaving 15 inches protruding from the wall to support the existng lintel.
Thank you in advance
Brett

Sponsored Links
not only is the 400mm masonry nib supporting the steel, it may be lending structural support to the wall too.

have you spoken to a structural engineer?

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. The 400mm of wall obviously supports some of the roof but nothing else. It was the external wall with a window in it. The window was simply removed to give access to the new single story extension. It has been suggested that a suitable one metre RSJ inserted into the wall half a metre one end sticking out under the old RSJ (to support that) would be enough to keep that end up as the only way it could all move would be by levering up the main house wall.

thanks again,
Brett

New RSJ the right size or if you can get a company in to do a splice 'on site', dont think a cantilever support will do.

Sponsored Links
Hi,
A splice on site? I've used a local engineering company for an RSJ before and they have welding facilities. However what is a splice on site? A new piece bolted on and then welded or what?
Thanks in advance and much appreciated so far

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back