Cornice repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've taken down some sections of old Victorian plaster cornice (or coving as some insist on calling it) and cleaned it up.

I have done this before elsewhere, and used casting plaster to stick it back up again.

I was wondering if their is anything better to put it back up with, as the casting plaster goes off very quickly, and doesn't give much time to align.

The surface is uneven so a good thick bed of adhesive is needed.

Sponsored Links
you need to water some pva down and brush the back to control the suction this will stop the adhesive setting,also scratch the back to provide a key. cove adhesive is sound to use so is drywall adhesive but use a sponge to clean the exess.

If you mix the casting plaster with lime putty it with increase the working time of the casting plaster. Thats what they did in the olden days when running in situ. You should be able to get lime putty from your local bm, but if not off the internet or make it yourself from quick lime. A mix of 1 to 1 casting plaster to lime putty should work themore putty you use the longer you have to play with it. Damp down the area you are working with clean water before you try and stick it. Hope this helps.

Hello dude the best result i have had with this project is to make sure that all the loose is removed from the ceiling, maybe pva would be a good idea then use waterproof tile adhesive it has a fantastic pull. Make sure you put some fixings into the cornice and make sure the screw head are drilled in first.
When you have finished putting up all the cornice you can mould all the mitres then with casting plaster.
Doing it this way takes loadsa pressure off yourself.
Any problems m8 get back to me

Regards

Sponsored Links
Sorry mate I might have got the wrong end of the stick here. Is this period restoration work ie for listed building repairs or the easiest way of doing it with modern materials. If its the latter i have used tile adhiesive a well and does grab well.

good luck

Thanks for all the helpful info.

No, we're not talking listed status here, just patching up bits of cornice over the staircase in an old house.

The lime putty stuff is very interesting and might give in a try sometime. But for now I think I'll go for the tile adhesive option and see how that works (as well as the pva etc).

Thanks again :)

Dude just one thing don't use a cheap tile adhesive like wickes etc etc its pardon the french **** use a quality branded one.

Good luck anything you want to know or come unstuck let me know.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back