Correct wrench/pliers for the job?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

i'm looking for the best tool to help tighten this shower valve connector into a 22mm female coupler.

So far, i've used cheap adjustable pliers to try and grab the offset metal 'bridge' between the threads, for obvious reasons, but the jaws are too thick and do start to destroy the thread on each part of the connector.

Can you get rubber covered pliers or something that will allow you to grip a thread without damaging it. I'm using the locktite 55 pipe seal to stop water dripping through so it makes tightening up even harder work.

ignore the arrow, it doesn't mean anyting in this case.

Thanks for any input offered.

Sponsored Links
You could screw a nut onto the end you are trying to grip and then grip that.

hmmmm.....but if i do that surely the nut will tighten up as much as the thread that i want tightening into the female coupler, then when its done and i want to take the nut off, what's to stop the thread from undoing from the female couple again?

Sponsored Links
Use a spanner.

Yes......thanks for that inciteful post.

I'll try to flesh it out a bit; instead of using pipe grips or a rubber covered pair of pliers, use a spanner of the correct size on the bridge between the threads. You may find that that lets you tighten the fitting correctly as it takes up less room than pliers.

Aaa...i see what you mean now, thanks.
Yeah, unfortunately the only spanner that fits around the 'bridge' snugly is too small/short to get any torque/leverage to tighten the damned thing.

Surely there is an appropriate tool for this type of thing. It's hardly and uncommon problem.....suuuuurreeelllyyyyyy !!! :unsure:

If you have a spanner which fits but is short you can squish a bit of pipe to make an extension handle and increase available leverage.

I think the inside of such pipes/connectors are designed to fit in a "hex key" or a fat Allen key. Turning from inside keeps the brass threads intact.

Is it round from inside?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back