Corsa 1.3 diesel 2006 stalling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.
I have some problems with my corsa which I am trying to solve.
First, at cold start it takes a few key turns and smokes a lot when starts, I have changed the glow plugs and problem was fixed.
Second, it drives fine until the engine warms up, when it starts to stall in lower gears and having less power in upper gears. I have changed the crankshaft sensor but the car still stalls.
Any ideas of what to do next? No errors on computer check.

Sponsored Links
Is it revving up OK?
If so, try a fuel filter change (and air filter if dirty).
Look on U-Tube there should be a video showing Diesel Corsa fuel filter change, to help you.

Thank you for reply. Rev is fine, fuel filter and air filter were changed recently.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for replies. I have noticed that since I have changed the crankshaft sensor the car starts to stall quicker, the engine it's not even warm and starts to stall. Would this be any help for anyone? Could I went wrong with the crankshaft sensor? Would the car still run if I made a mistake?
I am waiting for an answer about this fact and after I will carry on with changing the temperature sensor if necessary.
Thank you

Another thing, the spanner comes on when I start it cold and switch off/ switch on the engine and doesn't come back. When I had it tested I have been told no errors. So usually in have the spanner on in my first 10 minutes in the morning , and after restart it doesn't come back until in the evening when I start it to come back home, again at restart goes away. The engine has a sharp sound than usual as we'll.
Anything that I notice for any advise.
Thank you

Just carefully check all of the turbo pipes, will you? I think you are losing some boost here. Look for splits, listen for noise between the turbo and intercooler if there is one.
John :)

Checked pipes, no sound as far as I can hear.
Question: I have disconnected the maf sensor , as suggested on some forums, start the engine and cuts out after 2 seconds. Is that normal?
Thank you

And another thing, with maf sensor connected when I put first contact the engine does a cracking sound. Without the maf sensor connected, at first contact the sound dissapears.
Thank you- I am a novice with mechanics but I am giving it a go.

Hello, thank you all and John, you were almost right, I cleaned the MAF sensor today with a £5 MAF cleaner, but noticed as I disconnected it that one of the pipes was a bit loose on the MAF sensor, made sure both pipes were tight after, and so far everything is back to normal, even better I think.
In case it would help anyone:
Symptoms:
- more than one key turn and lots of smoke on cold start
- stalling while driving at low revs, with a puf of smoke as it reaches aprox 2000rpm on each gear and after normal acceleration
- gear stick vibrating a lot on idle
- rev on idle comes back to bellow 1000rpm with a noise as it passes just above 1000rpm
What I did:
- changed glow plugs which solved the cold start
- until I cleaned the MAF sensor , which apparently solved the problem with stalling so far completely , I have changed oil and oil filter,changed air filter, changed crankshaft sensor and filled a tank full with a 4£ injector cleaner from Halfords.

I hope everything will be ok and good luck everyone! I am a novice, if I did something wrong please reply.
Thank you

Fingers crossed!
If the problem comes back, do a bit of research on the EGR system.....this effectively introduces exhaust gas back into the air inlet for reburning - crazy I know.
EGR valves can stick open - one of the many scourges of today's diesels.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Back