corsa 1.4i 16v DOHC automatic problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help? I have had this car for a couple of months, but have been getting problems with what I think comes from the gearbox. It has very poor acceleration to the extent of not being able to get up a steep hill today. It has got gradually worse over the past two weeks, but it seems to pick and chose its moments when it plays up. Sometimes when I put the S button on it got rid of the problem but this seems to be increasingly not the case I.e neither normal acceleration in any auto gear. The car doesnt rev up wildly leading me to believe its not the auto clutch mechanism. Could it be a engine problem as opposed to a gearbox problem. If I floor the accelerator it takes of and acts as if im just touching the accelerator. Ive checked the automatic gearbox transmission fluid level and it appears to be above the MIN mark. Doe anyone know whether this may need topped up to the MAX. I dont know if this is related but on a few occasions the alternator light has came on after about 8 miles, but when I restarted the engine the light went out ? Any ideas

Sponsored Links
Not that many Corsa auto's about, never seen a faulty one.
When did u check the gearbox oil, when warm or cold, as they should always be checked when warm.

There is an ECU that controls the autobox, but I would suspect an engine management problem. One of the sensors maybe, what year is the Corsa? as they were prone to sticking valves back in the late 90's.

Any orange manangement lights on?

cheers

CJ

Ex-Vauxhall Man

Ive checked the fluid both hot and cold and this doesnt appear to be the problem. Im thinking it maybe a problem with not enough fuel getting thru. I noticed today that when i was pressing on the accelerator it wasnt very responsive at times. It wasnt spluttering it was just flattening out.

The car is a M reg (1994)

Sponsored Links
Back