Cost of new heating system?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would anyone like to take the time to offer a bit advice on the likely cost of a new central heating system. We've had a couple of prices and frankly I've been quite surprised at the amount. I'm not suggesting that I feel we're being ripped off, I'd just like to try and get some ball-park figures before we drag someone else out.
The existing back boiler and four radiators to be removed. No gas fire to be installed, we're sorting out an electric replacement.
Install new combi boiler with eight radiators with all new piping. Five downstairs and three upstairs. Downstairs floors are timber. There are currently no radiators upstairs.
Apparently we need the gas pipe upgrading. This is approx 15 metres to site of boiler from the gas meter at the front of the house.
The boiler flue has to go through a slate roof and we have to have a pump to remove water from the boiler flue.
If anyone feels that they can offer some advice on this I would be most grateful. Thank you.

please note forum rule 9

Sponsored Links
If you were in London we would charge approx £4000 which is cheap compared to BG.
Pete

If you were in London we would charge about £3400 but the work would be spread over rather longer that you might wish.

There are many regional price variations! More in leafy Surrey or Sussex and much less in Coventry, Lancs or parts of the NE

Tony

Sponsored Links
Hi. Thanks for the replies. We've had two quotes so far. One we've discounted as we did not have a good feeling about the chap, who basically came in,had a look around and gave us a price. The other person we contacted spent a hour looking around, measuring up and discussing various aspects of the work with my husband. His price to carry out the work is £4450.00. We are in the N.E. We have been advised of another local company to try and we will be contacting them tomorrow.
Out of curiosity, can anyone give a rough estimate of the likely time this sort of work will take. Once again, I realise it is hard to be really accurate in this sort of thing. Thanks again.

Hello ChrisR. Yes the slate roof is a single storey part of the house.

The time taken is part of the costing!

The quicker its done the more it might cost!

To do it within a week would need 3-4 dedicated people which often meens having them on the books full time which is more expensive!

If one or two people can do it in between other jobs while you are away for a couple of weeks for example it could be cheaper as thats a more efficient use of resources.

Tony

does everyone pass their discount on to customers when pricing for a full install these days??

thats got to be the only way people are getting these installs so cheap, when for example the retail price for a WB greenstar 30 is 1140.00 Plus VAT

then the price of copper is soooo expensive, hep aint much cheaper, then the cost of powerflushing the system before and after, not to mention the cost of all the courses we have to attend all the time

I think BG have the prices about right

To do it within a week would need 3-4 dedicated people
You don't mean that for this job? Some single guys would have it done in 4 days, not 4 weeks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back