Could anyone please identify what theese pipes do/are going

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there.
So im verry interested in what is what with my home plumbing. and am hoping you guys can help.

Also. my shower (normal gravity fed, not electric) is really low pressure and was hoping i could fit a pump. either before the shower or maybe before all taps (from loft tank and hot water tank)

Anyways...
This one.
The pise on the left with the insulated wrapping is cold. im assuming this is the water comming in from the loft tank
On the right of that, whats going on?
The pipe comming out from the tip of hotwater tank is verry hot.
Then as we get to the T the bit going upwards isnt hot
And the bit going down IS HOT.
Whats it doing?

I thought maybe this is the water that has been heated going out to all the taps ect. but why does one bit go upwards?

1491940371072-1985604905.jpg
14919404309531895470692.jpg
this one.
Whats the blue thing?
And whats the metal box above it?

I know its quite vague, sorry.

Sponsored Links
Wow. You know your stuff.

So look,
My shower is really low pressure, more of a drip. I think my showerhead is old n knackered, but i dought that, that is the sole problem.

I dont/cant get a electric shower or powershower anytime soon. Allthough id love one.

Would a pump before the shower help? And would it need to be on both inlets or just hot.

Cheers bro

Pumps can work fine if the cold cistern is big enough. You'd need to check the pump manuals to see how to connect to the hot water cylinder - whether it be by a flange or an inverted connection to the vent/draw off pipe.

Do it wrong and you'll suck in air and screw the pump.

Sponsored Links
So am i wrong in thinking they can be fitted just before the pipes go into shower mixer.

I assume the pipes would go downwards right above the shower mixer from the loft. Or are they more likley to just run under floorbords and UP to shower mixer.

Only one way to find out i spose, get in that loft!

Ok so, both hot nd cold go downwards from loft into shower mixer.

To fit a pump id obvs do it after the valve bit. Where the polypipe is. Flexipipe into the pump them flexipipe back into the white polypipe stuff?

Would need to probbaly cut some pipe away but at least its not copper pipes right?

From where i took the picture is towards where the tank is. And away from the pic is where the shower is (below) so im assuming that 3rd pipe just supplys the rest (sink ect)

Edit: i spose i could turn all water on and flick the valves = what that pipe is supplying XD

Attachments

• 1491944833256-1393694779.jpg
    1491944833256-1393694779.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 113
No idea mate! Every house and install is unique - who knows what the stream of plumbers who have visited each property in the UK have done over the years :ROFLMAO:

Take a look at the link I posted and read through it thoroughly then familiarise yourself with the layout in your own place and tie up the threads to understand what pipes do what.
We'll never be able to tell you succinctly!

No idea mate! Every house and install is unique - who knows what the stream of plumbers who have visited each property in the UK have done over the years :ROFLMAO:
Perhaps you mean 'blokes what do some plumbing' have done.... at the risk of sounding like Dick Puller, time served Registered Plumbers are the way forward. As is compulsory registration of Plumbers. OK , so I can come down off my high-horse now?

Perhaps you mean 'blokes what do some plumbing' have done.... at the risk of sounding like Dick Puller, time served Registered Plumbers are the way forward. As is compulsory registration of Plumbers. OK , so I can come down off my high-horse now?

I are a plumberer meself :D

And I didn't mean bodge work, although every house has a bit of that too from keen-owners :sneaky:
I was trying to do impress upon the OP that there isn't a blueprint for where pipes are in every house in the country - so many posters on this forum think we have the layout of their homes in our frontal lobe :ROFLMAO:

OP, all I'll add to all the good stuff that has been advised. If you are unsure as to how your system is put together and what the components do or are for I would suggest that you ask a recommended plumber in to give you a quote.

It's not as simple as it seems to add a shower pump into an up and over shower supply, there are a few variables that could cause you real problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back