covering bold colours

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all , i am looking to emulsion a bedroom with white + hint of pink but i have to cover a strong orange , can you tell me whats best to use as a base coat rather than coat after coat of the white. Is there something more heavy duty . cheers

Sponsored Links
You could use one of the various basecoat products which are available (Polycell, etc) but they are expensive and not the nicest product to use.
The cheapest alternative is oil based undercoat (slightly thinned) but it will be very strong smelling when used on large areas and needs good ventilation during application and drying.
My personal method is to use a good quality white trade emulsion which can often cover dark colours in one coat, or a maximum of two. It has higher pigment content than standard retail emulsions and therefore has much better hiding power. It is also thicker and can be watered down slightly for ease of application, if necessary. The downside is that it is a fair bit more expensive than retail paint but you do save time on the labour.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back