Crack appeared in conservatory wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a 20mm high gap that has appeared in between layers of bricks on the conservatory wall and runs the whole length of the wall above the DPC and just under the sill of the external doors.
20170507_155557.jpg

I have contacted the home insurance but they said it does not sound like subsidence as there are no cracks elsewhere inside or outside the house or conservatory.

They said if I get someone to confirm subsidence then I could start a claim but I thought it was their job to do that??

Sponsored Links
Can you take a photo from further out, of the corner of the whole building?

Sponsored Links
Any ideas why the mortar is different colours (some whiter some greyer) under the windows?

Is it normal weathering or does white indicate some historical repairs or repointing?

The conservatory is not moving upwards, so that section of wall must be moving downwards - which is potentially differential settlement - aka subsidence. Lack of any other cracking is irrelevant

But it might be a case of poor or bad quality work on that bit of foundation (or lack of) and if so may not be strictly subsidence, and might well be something that you would rather sort out yourself rather than claim on the insurance and then have a black mark on the property with higher premiums and excess, restrictions and conditions for ever more.

Was it built ontop of the retaining wall? Looks like there may be no good foundation below the door section.

Also where does that waste pipe drain to. Ithe pears it drains into the bucket?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back