Crack at extension boundary

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Just thought i'd put this out there for advice really.. moved into our extended 1930's bungalow last year. It was an extensive rebuild carried out mid 90's so about 17 years old.

I've noticed at the "join" between the old part of the building and the new part, which is about the half way mark - there is a crack. This crack is in the concrete floor (about 2-3mm at worst point) and is also present in the ceiling, directly above the crack. This is in the doorway from the hall to the living area, so in the center of the building both widthways and lengthways. There is no visible crack on the exterior of the building.

At first I thought it was a longstanding settlement crack which I guess would be expected, but i'm starting to get paranoid that the crack in the floor (under a carpet) is becoming more noticeable.

We had a homebuyers survey done which did not mention anything, but im aware this is not a full structural survey.

Is it worth getting a structural engineering in to look at this part of the building, and what would I be looking at, cost wise? Or should I just wait and see....

Many thanks!
Mike

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back