Crack on render along whole house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house has a crack in the render that I think is along the damp proof course. The effected wall is 15m long and runs the entire length of the house. Around all other sides of the house is brickwork at the base and the render starts above the damp proof course. Though at the back of the house (south east facing) where the crack is, the render goes to ground level. For some reason the render goes lower at the back of the house than elsewhere and meets the ground. I'm pretty sure the render covers the damp proof course at the back of the house. Inside the house along the affected wall, is damp

My plan had been to repair the crack and then paint, but now I think I should be removing the render up to the dpc?

I've included a photo of the front of my house (with the orange bricks), and you can see the vents are the same height, but the back one is covered by additional render and the patio

What's best to do?

Attachments

• 20240206_145445.jpg
    20240206_145445.jpg
    677.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 20240206_150036.jpg
    20240206_150036.jpg
    587.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 20240206_145810.jpg
    20240206_145810.jpg
    505.3 KB · Views: 36
Sponsored Links
I've noticed on neighbouring houses on both sides that the render goes to ground level at the back of theirs too, so it's probably been like that since the houses were built in the 50s. Their render is fine, but mine I think hasn't been painted in a very long time by the look of it

I'd hack some off the render, you don't want it to ground level, You need at least two courses of brickwork from bottom of render to ground.
I would be tempted to take it to the DPC.

Quite a straight forward process.
To do it neatly you'll need an angle grinder and diamond segmented blade.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back