Cracked Floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!

I’m in the process of renovating my bedroom in my 2nd floor ex-LA flat. The bedroom carpet is in a state so I want to replace it.

There’s been a “crunchy” sound under foot near the door, and after trimming the existing carpet after replacing the skirting boards I lifted up the carpet and underlay and found cracks in the floor. I’m not exactly sure what this floor is made of, or how I might repair it (and it’s my first flat so I’m still learning!). Does anyone have any clues?

It’s only present in the first 6ft or so as you walk in the door, so I’d ideally like to patch it up to stop the sound as you walk on it (there is a slight movement in the board along the crack with pressure) as money is a wee bit tight, so any recommendations for something to make do would be welcome too unless it’s very obviously something I should prioritise properly.

Many thanks in advance - long time lurker on these boards and they’re so helpful for newbies like myself! :)

Attachments

• 37EB9068-28C8-4F42-8EEC-E042B28230A5.jpeg
    37EB9068-28C8-4F42-8EEC-E042B28230A5.jpeg
    343.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 0DF78A3D-334A-4D3F-A9AF-7E7FC5877696.jpeg
    0DF78A3D-334A-4D3F-A9AF-7E7FC5877696.jpeg
    258 KB · Views: 42
Sponsored Links
It looks like a levelling screed over a concrete floor slab.
Remove all loose, cracked & easily removable pieces of the levelling compound.
Buy a bag of SLC, and a SLC primer - follow bag instructions and make good.
When setting then float with a trowel or an off-cut of say 2 x 4.

If you find cracks in the concrete slab then come back here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back